Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking into the exhaust 1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking into the exhaust 1st

I have a 98 Trans am w/A4. My goal is to build a car that makes as much HP as possible (with bolt ons) and still pass all emissions with no SES lights. What kind of HP is possible with these guidelines? Has anyone else limited themselves like this to the emission gods?
I would like to know what headers are available that I can still pass all OBD2 emission laws. Or am I stuck with the stock stuff? I am considering building a true dual exhaust but don't know if it is worth my time over a cat back (magnaflow probably)? Any and all advice is welcome!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OBD2 test is easy to pass, it's the visual that'll kick your ***, with tuning you can get a Trex cammed true dual exhausted ls1 to pass (as long as there are no codes)
You can do headers with the emissions fittings, get a catted Y and go to a catback/duals it depends how closely you want/have to be to emissions legal
Technically all long tube headers are illegal (they move the cats from the stock location)
If you want to be completely legal, a procharger and shorty headers should give you a pretty healthy ls1
BTW the folks in Kalifornia have to deal with this too
Old 05-30-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much do you love your car?

My friends (and soon myself) all have LTs and live in Kaliforn-hia, and passing smog is a matter of either throwing the stock exhaust back on for a day to pass the visual (time consuming but free), or knowing somebody who is a certified mechanic who'll pass the visual for you, but this may co$t you a lil bit...not that i condone anything that would bypass the law...
Old 05-30-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cuttttoutttt