Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker cat-back problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker cat-back problems

Mkay, this has been pissing me off for a while now, but i've finally gotten to the point where I need to figure this out. I have the Hooker cat-back on my car. As you know, you can remove the muffler/tailpipe section effectivley shedding 35lb of weight and having a "cutout" at the same time.

Every damn time I try to put it back on, I can never get it by myself, and usually with 2 people it takes 20minutes. It shouldn't be that hard. I can't ever get the exhaust flange to line up with the muffler flange. When looking at the exhaust flange, its at a 120 degree angle. Ummm, shound't it be perpendicular (90 degress) to the ground? So if I put the exhaust thru the hanger first, the flange won't line up. Then if I connect the flanges, the hanger won't line up.

What the hell am I missing?
Old 02-12-2003, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Hooker cat-back problems

I can't remember for sure, but is the muffler at an angle. Maybe you should rotate the tailpipes a little to get it to line up better. Or possibly the flanges got welded wrong for some odd reason.

I don't have any problems with mine. Just put the one side in the hanger, and lift it up and bolt it on.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Like Ackattack said... Can you loosen thei-pipe at the "y" and rotate it some, so its perpendicular to the muffler? Just a thought. I never had any probs with mine either.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

The flange on my hooker cat back is perpendicular to the ground and slightly twisted in the passenger side hanger. It looks like it would be sort of hard to handle alone even if it did line up perfectly everywhere.

Michael
Old 02-13-2003, 12:04 AM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

I JUST got done installing my new Hooker cat-back about 30 mins ago. Went pretty smooth, I did it alone.

Try both suggestions mentioned by Ackattack and MOBE. Which pieces do you have welded and which are clamped?

<small>[ February 12, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: BuckeyeROC ]</small>