Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Oil In Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Oil In Coolant

Engine overheated 260 degrees overflowed coolant. I let it cool it was bubbling coolant out around the cap on the over flow tank. After it cooled 180 degrees I opened the cap started the car and added just less than a gallon of warm water. Let the car sit for about four hours opened the cap to check water level water was black checked with my finger it has some kind of oil in it. I checked the dip stick and there is no water in the oil, no sign of milk shake.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy willakers, batman...
this sounds bad...

my buddy overheated his '00 ws6 and did the same thing you did.... he ended up w/ a cracked block, and oil seeped into the cooling system
Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

It may just be the transmission cooler in the radiator has leaked into the coolant. With the transmission running at a higher pressure it would force the coolant out of the radiator into the overflow resevoir. See if you can tell if it has a reddish tint to it.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

-------^ bingo.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
It may just be the transmission cooler in the radiator has leaked into the coolant. With the transmission running at a higher pressure it would force the coolant out of the radiator into the overflow resevoir. See if you can tell if it has a reddish tint to it.
Looks dark like motor oil but I don't know what trans fluid and coolant mixed color would be the oil level has not changed and is clean on the dipstick not milkshake. I do have a trans cooler so it would be the most likely way for oil to get to the coolent. Head gasket or crack in head or block I would think there would have to be coolant in the oil. Any thoughts???
Old 06-04-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bobcbp
Looks dark like motor oil but I don't know what trans fluid and coolant mixed color would be the oil level has not changed and is clean on the dipstick not milkshake. I do have a trans cooler so it would be the most likely way for oil to get to the coolent. Head gasket or crack in head or block I would think there would have to be coolant in the oil. Any thoughts???
It's actually the power steering cooler that will leak into the coolant overflow. Check your cooler (along the bottom of the upper radiator hose) and see if it's leaking.

also check your overflow dipstick and see if it has milky build up on it. thats a give away that your leaking. Is your PS fluid low?

you'd know if you had a head gasket leak.