Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Carrera 4S 3.8L vs Buick 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera 4S 3.8L vs Buick 3.8L

I'm cruising with light traffic in my 10 second '87 Turbo Regal on the left lane of a 3 lane interstate. The traffic begins clearing and there is a car to my right in the middle lane that I'm getting ready to pass by. From behind I see a Porsche rolling up behind me and then ducks right to the far right lane to try and go around both me and the car in the middle lane. "I hate boxters" flashes through my mind. So, I give the turbocharged Buick V6 a little throttle to unlock the converter to help get the boost going. As I see a fender of a Carrera with the Turbo ground effects to the rear as well peek past the car to my right- I drop the hammer.

As I see the rear of the car I yelled to myself, "Dammit, a 4S!?!?! why couldn't you get a GT3 for 90 grand instead!" The Carrera is probably doing 100 since I was cruising at 80. He is out in front to the right but I'm now pushing 18 psi boost on the street tune and the Buick starts to go for ludicrous speed. We are clear for a while as traffic is further ahead. Then all of a suddent the Carrera cuts to the middle lane and then in front of me. He let off the gas for a little bit until he saw me coming. Now he is about 2-3 car lengths in front of me and he is on gas pedal for sure. But I close the gap quickly and drop back to half throttle to keep from hitting his underpowered 355 hp squatting frog as he tried to out accelerate the flying brick.

I didn't think to go around him because a Turbo Regal doesn't handle well at those speeds. I normally trap low to mid 120's in 3rd gear and I'm well into 4th gear at this point. I was hoping the side door windows were not going to buckle and fly out. I had no idea how fast I was going since my 85 mph speedometer is useless.

I ease off the gas figuring this guy has had enough Buick in his immediate rear view for one day. As we catch up to traffic he begins a very ricerific display of weaving in and out of traffic to get away from a faster car. I just went back to 75-80 mph cruise, never once leaving my left lane.

The Buick

Last edited by LC2nLS6; 06-06-2006 at 10:03 PM.