Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First timer tips* stock a4 drag race help???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First timer tips* stock a4 drag race help???

well i will be heading to the strip soon.. and i just got my 00 formula ws6..i was wondering if anyone can give me some tips.. my first and only pass i just floored it off the line without a stall.. can i stall on street tires if so how much.. and what about a burnout? ive hear various comments about only a small burnout out of the water.. any tips?i want to see if i can beat my previous time of 13.502 with a 2.07 60ft.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:03 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I run my Formula on street tires, I pull around the water box.
Get pointed straight and give her a good whack on the throttle to clean off the tires (but don't sit and do a burnout).
Put the shifter in Drive or Overdrive (completely separate topic on this, do a search on it. I use OD).
I usually launch around 900-1000 rpms and roll into the throttle quickly to stay hooked up. I've gone 13.47 at 103.50 mph with a 2.06 60 foot bone stock this way in August Florida heat.

Good luck!

Derek
Old 06-07-2006, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Villian's advice is what I tell my wife to do. If you want to get more into it, disconnect the front sway bar bolts that connect to the A-arms. It helps weight transfer. Lower the tire pressure to ~25lbs. My wife's best 60ft she did was 1.98. Hope this helps.
-Mark
Old 06-07-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experimented with different techniques at different tracks, although Derek's advice is sound and I respect his input. You may want to experiement and find out what works better for you and the conditions you are racing in. My local track is in 2710' elevation and is rarely prepped well (LACR). My technique for something like this is to line up behind cars with slicks (ET Streets or better) and do a small dry burnout over the tire patch they leave. This will cause the rubber on the surface to temporarily adhear to your tires and allow you to hook better. Other tracks all I had to do was pull up to the starting line, no burnout at all and stall it as high as I could and it would hold (Famoso). I have made several 1.9 - 2.0 60' times when I was Factory stock and on the OE Goodyears. As I said, just try different techniques, change only one thing at a time, and you will find what works better for you and the track you are at. I doubt any that is not from your area can acurrately state their technique will work for you and the track you are on. I know it doesn't at a couple of my local tracks.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the advice guys