Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES w/ 3rd gear only

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES w/ 3rd gear only

Background: got my 4L60E rebuilt in February.

I have this problem where the SES light comes on and I've got nothing but reverse and 3rd gear. First time it happened I had just shifted into D. This time I was going down the road at 50mph. Nothing else on the car gets affected at all.

I immediately took the car to the shop that did the rebuild. Their theories so far involve "excessive current draw from my aftermarket stereo system" or somewhere else on the car not related to the transmission. Last time this happened they could not locate the problem because after the code was reset they couldn't duplicate it.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doubt it has anything to do with your stereo. Get the code read, even if the light went back off should still be stored in history if it hasn't been too long.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, I doubt that also especially since I had the stereo way before I got the trans rebuilt and it never caused a voltage problem. The code indicated it was a circuit fault. They cannot figure out where it is, and I think they are just blaming it on the only piece of non factory electronics on the car.

Anybody have suggestions or prior experience? This is a '97 T/A btw.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring it somewhere like auto zone and have them read for codes to help nail it down - circuit fault isn't enough info.