Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does an Iron 370 ci sound right for a Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does an Iron 370 ci sound right for a Turbo?

I am getting a newly forged fully built engine that is a 370 ci. I am not sure, but i am guessing that its an LS2 block. I mean they don't make a 370 LS1, right? Anyways, I hear that the more cubic inch, the more it affects gas mileage. Is that true? It seems like it could be. I mean i am looking to still make my car mostly street legal and friendly. I would guess a 408 iron block would be too much for what my needs are. Plus i plan on using the STS rear mount turbo. I hear that setup works better some how on smaller cubic inch engines. Not sure if that is true or not.

Most importantly, What the hell do i do with the old stock engine once i get the new one installed? I mean what do you guys do with your old block or engine? I almost wouldn't want to part with it so if something happens after a while with the new one, i still have my old one to use. Does that make sense at all? But my mechanic is going to install the engine. Should i ask him to take the stock engine apart to the point where its in pieces that i can carry by hand or should i invest in something that holds an engine or what? I'd really appreciate some insight on this.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

turbos and 370s go well
Old 06-17-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most with turbo's do the 370 iron block. Which means they utilize the block from a 6.0 truck. They'll bore it to 4.03" and use a stock crank. As for the old motor, most either store it somewhere or sell it to offset some of the cost of the new motor. No point in taking a good engine apart if there's no need. A 408 will make more power, but will cost more and may require a bit bigger turbo.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sell the engine before you take it out so you can show a running engine. Sell it local and tell them when and where to pick it up.
Its hard to answer your questions w/o knowing your goal; 400rwhp, 600rwhp, etc..
Whats your budget like? Its easy to spend alot in a hurry with FI.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a quote for a Twin setup with 67's I beielve. Its also with the 370 Iron and is capable of 1000+ RWHP with aftermarket Crank. 800RWHP or so with stock crank.

Quick Reply: Does an Iron 370 ci sound right for a Turbo?