Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run high flow cats and dual cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone run high flow cats and dual cutouts?

I've got an ORY to work with here and I need to do a couple things:
1) Kill the rasp that is oh so well heard through my LT/ORY/LM setup
2) Pass emissions

At the same time, when putting cats back in, I don't want to permanently kill the flow. I'm considering putting dual cutouts in but not sure where (pre or post cats). Also not sure with e-cutouts to get (qtp, mccord, dmh, etc). Just looking for people with experience with these sort of setups to chime in and give their .02 .
Old 06-13-2006, 04:53 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could flange the cutouts and the cats, then swap them for inspection, just another idea. I'd scrap the LM all together and go with a dual/dual or hooker.

Here' what I posted via PM.....

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Don't feel bad, you actually have a Legit reason to run dual cutouts!

Here's what I'd do if I were you. Find a cheap ***, ratty old used catted y-pipe JUST for passing emissions, then build an ORY pipe with 3" pipe on each side dumping into a flowmaster merge, but keep the pipe 4" (which flowmaster merge's are already)coming out. Run that into a 4" bullet, then the electric cutout, THEN reduce it to 3" before the catback. I don't like the idea of pumping 500+ rwhp (almost 600fwhp) N/A through a single 3" pipe.

Pros - The cost of one single electric cutout instead of two will offset the additional stuff you'll need. 1 cutout is 1/2 as likely to break down as 2 of those bastards. Noise level will not be insane-o prostock loud, but still make plenty of power. The extra bullet will help the cutout sound better, and probably improve the sound of the catback as well. Ground clearance will be awesome. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Cons - Might be *slightly* more expensive, depending on how hard it is to find a cheap *** catted y.

A single 3" cutout would be plenty due to the fact that it would then have the option of going out the cutout or out the muffler, so the stream would be divided. No need for a 4" cutout unless you wanted it.

Now, if you wanted 1 setup to run all year like you'd talked about, you could get dual 3" cutouts (or 2.5"), place them before the spun bodied 3" in/out cats (like the magnaflow ones but cheaper), then any ole' merge and into the catback. The reason I say the spun bodied cats is that they are small and would be easier to cram in after the cutouts, which are going to be a pain already.
Someone has a flowmaster merge --> 4" bullet setup with a turndown and they posted pics of it a while back, not sure who it was though.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just wondering what catted y pipes would fit my setup for emissions time. I know a lot of them are finnicky and made to fit the company's proprietary headers.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I'm just wondering what catted y pipes would fit my setup for emissions time. I know a lot of them are finnicky and made to fit the company's proprietary headers.
Dotn worry too much about that. Pretty much any decent exhaust shop can modify a y pipe to adapt to your setup. All you really have to change is one side usually.

Quick Reply: Anyone run high flow cats and dual cutouts?