Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maintenance ? - rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance ? - rear end

Is it a good idea and does it make any sense to change liquids in the rear end?? Car has 64k on it, not used to pull anything, but IS taken to the track once in a while.

Also, does anybody know, what kind of maintenance manual transmission on camaro could use? Please confirm my understanging that changing transmission oil is for automatics only. Thank you.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: maintenance ? - rear end

Yes, it is a good idea to change these fluids periodicaly. Look in your owners manual for a sugested schedule. Normally on a new differential, you change the fluid after only a few thousand miles to remove any metal chips from the manufature and break-in period. Also be sure to clean off the magnet while you are in there. Manual trans fluid should be changed with automatic trans fluid on most of the new gear boxes such as the T56 six-speed.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never a bad idea to change the fluid. Oil is much cheaper than gearboxes and rear ends. I'm swapping my stock fluid for Mobile 1 synthetic this weekend in the gearbox and rear. The synthetic oil will reduce gearbox and rear end temps and is actually worth a couple horsepower on a chassis dyno (usually about 4-8 hp...due to reduced friction and heat). Good luck!
Old 03-21-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to mechanics at the dealer and told them I like doing all the maintenance myself. When I asked about the rear end, 2002, they said I should change the oil every 30,000 miles. Only have 6K on it now but I think I'll do it at 10K.