Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side coil pack removal help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Drivers side coil pack removal help!

There is another bolt you can't see . But you can just bend the bracket up . This is the easiest way IMO . You can just leave the bracket bent up . You can't really see it with the coil packs reinstalled and will make it much easier the next time you need in there.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a bolt on the back of the head that needs to be loosened to get that bracket off. Reach your hand down the back of the bracket and you will feel the head of the bolt. It is tough to get to, but use a 15mm wrench and loosen the bolt a little and the bracket will slide up enough to get to the coil pack bolt. The bracket is slotted, so the bolt does not have to be removed, just loosened. There is a ground wire back there also that goes to another bolt, so make sure you are on the right bolt. If you remove the AIR tube, AIR tube hose and disconnect the hose coming from the AIR pump to the valve the bracket holds and unplug the hose going to the brake booster, it is a little easier to get to.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recollection is that removing the driver's side is much easier than the passenger's side. Use a small box wrench. Long fingers and skinny arms are especially helpful.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took off the top bolt that holds that bracket down, then used a big 3 foot long screwdriver to bend the bracket up out of the way. Had my coil packs off numerous times since then with zero problems.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side coil pack removal help!

I'm working on removing the drivers side coil pack to get some room to do some other work. The only problem I'm having is there is some sort of bracket connected to the backmost bolt! The bracket seems to move a little but I can't really get it to go up, so before I apply more force I'm wondering if any can tell me if that bracket is just tight or if there is another bolt that I can't feel connected to it?

Quick Reply: Drivers side coil pack removal help!