Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy What to do??

Well I just got back from my vacation this past weekend and took the car out for a drive and started hearing a very noticable knocking on startup that would quiet down after about five minutes or so, but was still there. Today when I drove it again it did the same thing but then I had a whine like a supercharger that would go up with the rpms. I was thinking of either pulling the cam or a head to see if there was damage on the cam or lifters. Should I do one of these or does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the infamous piston slap. Do a search on it, you'll find all the info you need on it. As for the whine, not sure what that could be. Does it sound more like a rear-end gear problem or a whine like an intake problem?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The startup knock sounds like piston slap. The whine could be power steering pump low on fluid, or it could be a waterpump going south. Id look into those two first before pulling the motor apart.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

I was just concerned about the knock because its never done that before and I checked the power steering pump and its fine, but I'm not quite sure how I could check out the water pump
Old 06-15-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000RedZ
I was just concerned about the knock because its never done that before and I checked the power steering pump and its fine, but I'm not quite sure how I could check out the water pump
A good first step would be to remove the serp belt to make sure its an accessory noise. You can spin the waterpump by hand and check for anything obvious, but past that you have to start replacing things one at a time...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Ok I'll try that, but I remember you had the blower like whine with your F13 was it very loud at first or was it just barely noticable and then get worse, because thats the first thing I thought of when I started to hear the whine.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000RedZ
Ok I'll try that, but I remember you had the blower like whine with your F13 was it very loud at first or was it just barely noticable and then get worse, because thats the first thing I thought of when I started to hear the whine.
It was a constant from the moment the f13 went into the car. Sounded almost like a gear drive timing set. Anyway, it did not develop over time, it did not get worse or get better with time. The only thing that cured it was going to a different cam. If you just came out one day and heard thsi noise that wasnt there before, i doubt its from the cam.