Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry for all the post. trying to find me the right setup.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry for all the post. trying to find me the right setup.

Sorry ive made numerous post and ive been reading page after page. but i see so many different things. so il tell you guys what im looking to do and see what yall think.

1998 a4 z28
pace setter long tubes and true duals.
then i want a cam taht makes lots of noise. i just like a car to has that ground pounding sound to it when its idling.

the car will need to be driven around town maybe not every day but alot. still.

what would yall recomend head/cam wise or should i just do cam and something else?
but i want 400whp or more.

what do you guys think i should go with.

also i listened to some different cams and so far the best sounding to me ist he gx3 i believe. not sure if its good for daily kinda car though.

thanks again
Old 06-16-2006, 10:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any of these cams that you are describing will be decent sized. Upper 230's + on the durations. First and foremost. Do not get a cam just for the sound. You will have a cool sound with unuseable power. Second, if you have not gotten a better torque converter/stall I would do so before going through with the heads/cam package. Third: you are going to have a hard time getting 400rwhp with a cam that just "makes lots of noise". There is a science to picking a cam that is right for you. What you are going to want to do is to get a cam that has some positive overlap if you want the lopey sound that comes with one. You might have to get a custom grind, but that is no big deal and still very common to do. I would think that saying you have a 3000+ stall a 230-236 cam would probably be something in the ballpark that you are looking for if I had to guess.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:25 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

You must have been talking about the G5X3 cam. And yes it is big 240's and yes it does "pound the ground" and you would most likely run that with the stock heads.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

orange already stated this, but:

You need a high stall converter before you get a cam.

You will have a hard time getting 400 rwhp through an auto. However, you should not care what the rwhp is. The only thing that should matter is how quick/fast it is. You can't win a race with dyno numbers.

A G5X3 matched to a 4k or so stall speed with a good tune is daily driveable, IMO....but then again I daily drive an A4 with 4k stall speed, MS3 (237/242 .603/.609 113) and dumped duals. It's fun.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I am with you on retarded fun setups for the DD.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well works only ten miles and everythings close not like wed be driving the car far. but its gotta be loud. and scare old people..

but the tranny was gna be rebuilt same time as the cam is done. and we where gnamatch the stall and what not.

so i can run the g5x3. with intake headers true duals. rebuild my tranny and get a 3600-4k stall? and be ok?

ive never had a stall. how is the car gna take off with a 4 k stall? is it gna be sluggish until 4k? or will it take off just the same if ipunch it i just have the option of at a stand still get the rpms up and then dumping it?

i might needa find a cam that could use a smaller stall than that. maybe.

the other thing is. i might have my stock heads done and plan to buy the fast ls6 intake and throttle body for it later.

would the g5x3 or something like the trex be ok with that?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upgrade your grammar a little bit there.

The FAST intake is the LSX, not the LS6.

You can run a G5X3 with a 4k stall and it will perform well. I would not run a T-Rex with a 4k stall. 4,400 with 4.10s is what the Rex will love.