Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a problem with sanding some of the ceramic coating off my LT's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there a problem with sanding some of the ceramic coating off my LT's?

I got some Pacesetter LTs and the TSP ORY, and now I have a question. The Y-pipe is tight to get on the left header, but I don't think it will be too much of a problem, but the right header was bent a little bit when I got it, so I bent it back basically in the right shape, but its still very VERY tight to get the Y-Pipe on it(I've only done it once, it's still sitting out in the shed connected because of that ). I was wondering, would there be any problem in sanding off the coating on the end of the header so I can get the pipe on easier(I have a feeling its going to be basically impossible to get it on under the car if it's like this)? I don't really know if this will effect rusting or anything since it's going to end up on the inside of the Y-pipe anyway, but I would like to know before I go and do it. Would there be any problems with doing this? Thanks!

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 06-17-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

why dont you buy an exhaust pipe expander that can expand 3'' pipe and expand the y pipe on the side that's giving you trouble. I dont think sanding of the coating will mean anything.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Well, how much do those expanders cost? And what do you mean it won't mean anything? Like it won't cause a problem, or it won't help me any, or something else?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sanding some of the ceramic coating from the rim of the collector will not hurt anything, should be just fine;

exhaust pipe expanders can be borrowed from AutoZone for free, or purchased from them for $25.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:36 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to slip it on too too far, because the band clamp will hit the O2 bung, and you won't be able to get a good seal.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

i thought sanding down the coating would do the trick when i had to fit a reducer over the collector but sanding it down did almost nothing, so even though it looked like a lil bit would slip it over chances are it needs more than that. I vote pipe expander from autozone, worked for me, plus its free (i also sanded too so that there would be no question of a weld splatter when i welded it)
Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Well I already have it about an inch on the header sitting out in the shed. Do I need any more than that? Would it be possible just to leave it on during the installation and just turn the y-pipe piece a little once its in there to make it fit, and is 1" on enough?