LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

really weird a/c problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default really weird a/c problem

i hardly ever use my a/c,but recently its been 90-100*.i usually just roll the windows down.(those are going out too)my gf likes the a/c on so always turn it on for her.anyway we went somewhere the other day and i noticed my battery has been draining when i turn the a/c on.right when i turn it on.i have a fan switch and turn it on when the a/c is on.so i thought it was the switch.i turned the a/c on without the switch being on and immediatly the volts drop.it only drops to about 11 volts either way.but its never happened before,any ideas?thanx
Old 06-18-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

might be something stuck open electrically like the switch on the A/c itself or a relay acting up.....I will try to get a diagram and give u a better answer.....
Old 06-18-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But i need more detail does it blow cold does the A/C unit cycle on and off? Do both fans come on and stay on?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Launching!

ya the fans stay on.the a/c blows SUPER COLD!and no it does not cycle on and off!my g/f grandpa was a chevy mechanic for 35years,just retired said that its normal for it to drop and then when you step on the gas it goes back up.in his 32 chevy it does the same thing.i think iv'e never noticed because i always turn it on when im on the freeway so the voltmeter doesn't drop.thanx.im still open to any suggestions though
Old 06-19-2006, 01:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

The only thing I can think of why the voltage would drop is there is a wire crossed somewhere. Also, when the AC kicks on, it puts a little strain on the belt. Worst case the belt is slipping, but I highly doubt it..

Quick Reply: really weird a/c problem