Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS No boost on dyno!!!!!!!!!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS No boost on dyno!!!!!!!!!!! HELP

So i just got a call from rick at synergy and he had my car on the dyno for a while yesterday and he can't get the car to create positive boost! He checked the piping and there aren't any leaks. Mods are in sig. What do i need to start troubleshooting with. O, and they just swapped a built 4L65E tranny so no slipping issues either. He even couldn't get boost just driving around off the dyno. Help.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Well one of the first things you can do is disconnect the lines from your wastegate, also verify that you have a spring in there, you should probably have a 6psi spring in but be warned, that the boost will keep going with no line to the gate.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no boost = something is wrong, probably a boost leak.

What is your exhaust setup out of curiosity, headers, manifolds?.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zombie
no boost = something is wrong, probably a boost leak.

What is your exhaust setup out of curiosity, headers, manifolds?.

it's more than just a "leak"
something isn't hooked up right....
Old 06-23-2006, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
it's more than just a "leak"
something isn't hooked up right....
Depends, i've had all sorts of leaks in all the years i've owned turbo cars, usually due to forgetting to tighten a clamp, install an intercooler pipe , etc. Some were pretty funny.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure Rick knows, but with the fmic, you need to have your boost reference run to the engine, not the compressor housing.

Last edited by trtturbo; 06-23-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I ran my reference for the wastegate just before the MAF/TB assembly. I get my boost for my guage off the brake booster.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

my reference for the wastegate is off the brake booster per instructions...no problems...
Old 06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The reference for my BOV is off the brake booster, since it needs manifold reference... the wastegate asked for reference on the charge pipe... BEFORE the throttle plate... as it would be the reference when under boost and letting off when the throttle blade closes and spikes.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Boost reference is taken from the compressor housing. That may be a problem. I called Rick however and he said that he should be seeing more than .8 lbs on the dyno even with that problem. He said it was only a 1-2lb difference with the intercooler added. He took the car to 5k rpm. He said he can't get boost on the street either. Said it was something else he didn't know. Any other ideas guys? He checked the pipes, tightened all the clamps, no leaks.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even with the reference from the compressor housing, it should see some boost. I would go ahead and move the reference and go from there.
Check the turbo and see if there is excessive play. I have had one turbo that lasted all of a mile and wouldnt spool after that. Everything installed right; just luck of the draw.
I'm sure Rick will find it.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yeah, good luck to you and Rick. Rick is a very smart guy, he'll figure it out. If you brake boost it at high rpm, you should achieve max boost, try that, see what happens. That is strange, I had something similar go wrong with mine, found out it was the boost controller was backwards + and -, turned it all the way the other way and immediately made 12#, without even trying.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Check the vacuum line on the back of the manifold. When that pops off you get no boost. Make sure its on there good and tight. Happened to Dave at the track.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LastBlack02SS
Boost reference is taken from the compressor housing. That may be a problem. I called Rick however and he said that he should be seeing more than .8 lbs on the dyno even with that problem. He said it was only a 1-2lb difference with the intercooler added. He took the car to 5k rpm. He said he can't get boost on the street either. Said it was something else he didn't know. Any other ideas guys? He checked the pipes, tightened all the clamps, no leaks.
I think many of the suggested fixes and troubleshooting are good. I'll add my $0.02. When I installed my TRT FMIC, I still had the reference on the compressor housing. I was pretty suprised to see that I was only making 1lb of boost. After rereferencing the boost to the vacuum line off the throttle body I was back to 5psi. Actually 4.5. The slightly low pressure I register is a function of the lines I'm using to run my boost gauge. I didn't have a long enough strand of nylon line and have a rubber vacuum line coupledd into it. This threw off the reading by .5PSI for whatever reason on the gauge (line swell?....not totally sure).

In short I'd rereference to wastegate to the throttle body vacuum line and also make sure the boost gauge line is good (and not pinched.)

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:28 AM
TECH Regular

I'll have to try the boost reference switch. Looks like i'm gonna have to pick the car up to do it and then bring it back for tuning. Sux, nearly 1k miles back and forth but thats what they said i gotta do.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about 10bucks in parts you can find if there's a boost leak on the charge side, get a 2" and 4" pvc plug, take the silicone off the compressor and plug that w/the 2" (the silicone will stretch smaller to seal), then you'll also need a tire gut or something of the sort and a vaccume port put onto the 4" peice, take the silicone off the TB and plug that(and plug any other ports in your charge pipe), run your boost gauge to the vaccume port(on the 4"pvc plug) and fill w/ air, the gauge should stay up, if its going down fast you will probably be able to hear air coming out of the pipe somewhere, I have heard of guys having broken intercoolers, but if you said he just put a tranny in and it was boosting before the tranny install then thats when the problem happened, maybe a loose connection, a massive boost leak dosent usually happen when nothing has been changed from one day to the next...
Old 06-24-2006, 04:54 AM
TECH Regular

well, the car made close to wastegate psi before the IC install i did a few weeks ago. Then it didn't make practically any boost but i figured it was b/c the tranny was getting worse and slipping a bit. Now i just hope its the boost reference. I also have an EBC (E boost 2) hopefully install soon to replace the manual boost controller. I guess we'll see. It would have been nice to have it tuned and running first. As always, a project long in the running.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Teching In

A turbo has to work mighty hard to pressurize the earth. Check for boost leaks. Make a pressure tester.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know its a long shot but check the turbo. i have heard a few people that have had turbos with broken shafts! i know it sounds stupid but worth a quick look

Chris.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like a boost leak. pressure test your entire system. check waste gate make sure it is not stuck open, check the bov if the system would not build pressure. check to make sure turbo is actually boosting.

Quick Reply: STS No boost on dyno!!!!!!!!!!! HELP