Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Anyone remove a C6 bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Anyone remove a C6 bellhousing?

I'm trying to change my clutch out today (on jackstands!) and have everything removed except for the bellhousing on the back of the engine. I've removed all of the bolts, the bellhousing is loose, but it doesn't have enough room to move back to come off. The engine is lowered as far as it will go on the back, still not enough room.

Whatever GM designer did this should have his a$$ kicked. Not only were the bolts nearly impossible to access, but the C6 has a stupid 1-piece bellhousing. The C5 had a two-piece unit, and only the bottom had to come off for clutch swaps.

Arghhh.....

Tony
Old 06-25-2006, 07:45 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

update: I've learned that the intake manifold needs to be removed, and the engine tilted back as far as it can go until it just touches the firewall.

Only problem is that my intake manifold is currently a shiny Magnacharger. I'll loosen it up and just slide it forward a bit.

Oh yeah, did I mention that changing a clutch on a Corvette on jackstands sucks!!! I'm still sore from yesterday. Won't be doing this again unless I have a lift.

Tony
Old 06-25-2006, 09:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I can`t feel your pain your car is really nice. Good luck there you are my hero trying to do that on Jack-Stands.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:26 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I'm trying to change my clutch out today (on jackstands!) and have everything removed except for the bellhousing on the back of the engine. I've removed all of the bolts, the bellhousing is loose, but it doesn't have enough room to move back to come off. The engine is lowered as far as it will go on the back, still not enough room.

Whatever GM designer did this should have his a$$ kicked. Not only were the bolts nearly impossible to access, but the C6 has a stupid 1-piece bellhousing. The C5 had a two-piece unit, and only the bottom had to come off for clutch swaps.

Arghhh.....

Tony

But isn't the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself worth it?

HAHAHAHAHA!

So when are you getting a lift?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I've been procrastinating on the lift purchase, but I expect it will be soon. Once I get this car back together again, I won't work on the drivetrain ever again without a lift.

Tony

Quick Reply: Anyone remove a C6 bellhousing?