Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting rod issuses

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting rod issuses

today was suppose to be a glorious day because this day i was suppose to complete the installation of the internals of my 5.7 LM7. as i was installing them i notice something in the automanual book. its says that you have to install the pistons with the dot facing the front of the engine but not only that the flat face of the lower part of the connecting rod too has to face the front of the engine. now for my problem and question...i have 4 rods and pistons that are facing the correct position and 4 that are dot forward on the piston and flat face in the opposite direction. will it hurt or do anything to the engine if i install dot on the piston facing forward and the flat face of the rod facing the back of the engine? this is very urgent because i was suppose to have the engine internals done by monday. i don't want to go back to the machine shop on monday and have him flip them around if i don't have to do so. so please help me out if you can as soon as possible. my email is nuntius20032003@yahoo.com thank you
Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

im in the same exact situation.im gonna flip my 4 piston around.get the piston marks facing forward and the flat face of the rod facing forward.what did you find out??
Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

im pretty sure u need to flip those rods like they say cause the r chamfered for ur crank. the have like a slope that fits onto the the edges of the crank. if u torqued all of them down the motor may not roll over cause ur rods would be tight on this spot. look at how ur crank is shaped on the egdes of ur journals, should have a slope
Old 11-22-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Why would this be a problem???
First off, Factory LS Gen3 cranks do not have a radius On them Like traditional SBC and BBC cranks
Second off, all If the flat side of the rod Is always forward that would mean The rods would have to be reversable in order to work in that fashion. because techanically 4 would be Backwards If they had the flate side of the rod facing forward.

In other words The flat side of the #1 rod would face the counter weight. putting rod #2 in, the back side of the rod would be near the other counter weight.

If some on else knows something about these rods Please let us all know.

GM put them in from the factory with the Flat side always facing forward. I did not find this out untill after My stuff came back from the machine shop.

I personally believe it was ease of assembly at the engine plant. Line the dot up with the flat side of the rod so Any Dummy Could do it and they would not have to worry about it...

In the Book by Will Handzel It says They Are reversable So I do not for see it being an Issue....
Old 11-24-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Any one come up with anything one way or another???