Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Sand in Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help - Sand in Motor

I run an LS1 (1998) in a sandrail. We recently removed the intake manifold for some mods, and despite best efforts to clean the external engine prior to removing the intake, some sand went into the intake ports, through the open intake valves and into the cylinders. We pulled the heads and there is a dusting of sand on the cam lobes and pushrods, which I'm still trying to figure out how it got there.

We were very carefull not to rotate the engine after taking off the manifold.

This engine had about 42K miles and one season at the dunes and ran very well. Didn't use any oil and no piston slap. Other than headers, egr delete, no cats and a tune, it was dead stock. I put maybe 50 or 60 hours a year on the engine.

Obviously, we will have to tear the engine down for a complete cleaning, but up until now I didn't need a rebuild - everthing was working good.

I'd like to put the motor back to the way it was. Any recommendations on what parts I should consider replaceing when the motor is down? Obviously I'll replace everything I see that has any problems, but should I replace rings? Hone the cylinders? Rod and main bearings? Oil pump? It didn't need a rebuid, I'd just like to get it back to being clean and functioning as before.

Advice and opinions?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would ball hone the cylinders, and put a new set of rings in it... Put a new set of bearings in it along with the oil pump, cheap insurance.