Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did I do??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I do??

I was autocrossing my 95 z28 the other day and at the end of the course had to make a very quick stop at high revs. As the revs were coming down the motor started to knock. One of my fellow autocrossers said I may have drained the oil to the front of the oil pan and bent a pushrod by collapsing a lifter? Not sure if that is accurate or not. Any adivce on how to procede? What would be the first step to diagnose an engine noise. I seem to have decent oil pressure when running, and I didn't lose any oil after the incident, there was also no smoke. Just a lot of noise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I"m a bit of a novice with these cars.
Thanks
Chad
Old 06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you over rev it? Wheres the noise coming from, top of the engine or underneath? I doubt a panic stop would be enough to starve the motor of oil but it could happen. Give us some more info on the noise.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Teching In

It sounds like more than just a tick. I don't believe I even came close to the rev limiter. The noise can be heard over my exhaust/header combo which is a full SLP exhaust and headers, no cats. So it seems like it could be serious.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hrm, I hope for your sake it isn't... It very well could've starved for oil for a millisecond while it was still up on rpms and you were braking really hard. Ya never know until you pull it apart. =\
Old 06-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Teching In

So would I be able to find anything out by just taking off the valve covers and checking for a bent pushrod? Or am I better off going at it from underneath, dropping the oil pan etc.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly OT, for future reference, how would one prevent this?....
Old 06-26-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

my friends 97 T/A dropped the pick up tube off the pump and every time you would get on the brakes or corner hard it would lose oil pressure. I've known to other people to have this problem with their car to. So the next time my friend was changing the oil I slapped the bottom of the empty oil pan with a rubber mallet and you could hear the pickup bounce up off the bottom.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Teching In

If I did lean out the oil what is the easiest way to diagnose what the problem is without taking apart my whole motor (e.g. a way to find out how much I have to spend in case I just decide to sell the car the way it sits instead of fixing it which can be VERY expensive.)