Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

How many people running a iron block in a C5 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many people running a iron block in a C5 vette?

I purchased a 6.0 iron long block from a friend, and planned on building a 408 for a mid 70 C3 vette. But recently my wife has convinced me to pursue a C5 vette. She fell in love after visiting the Bowling Green assembly plant

I know there are lots of opinions on iron vs. aluminum, but am considering building the iron 408 for a C5, to make both mama and me happy.

How many people are running a iron block in a C5 vette?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
I purchased a 6.0 iron long block from a friend, and planned on building a 408 for a mid 70 C3 vette. But recently my wife has convinced me to pursue a C5 vette. She fell in love after visiting the Bowling Green assembly plant

I know there are lots of opinions on iron vs. aluminum, but am considering building the iron 408 for a C5, to make both mama and me happy.

How many people are running a iron block in a C5 vette?

Some people are....maybe not HERE but,..people are. I'm afraid to add the weight. There is soo many different options nowadays,...that you DON'T have to go iron. For example, the new LS2 block, is great. It can handle alot of power without getting too deeply into it. The NEW block that I like, is the new escalade motor, an aluminum 6.2 liter block.....capable of handleing even more.

Not trying to get you away from the IRON,..just saying, there are some good options that we all have, without the added weight.

Cars should always get lighter,..never heavier.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Default I am!!

I have a 98 with a iron block 350 bored and stroked to a 422 just relocate the battery to the rear to help offset the weight difference if your worried about weight transfer it helps!!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

I have an iron block, and it definetely made the front of the car sit lower and gave it a pushy feeling in the steering..

Now that it's turbo though and we moved battery to trunk, and put good tires on it.. I love it!!

Quick Reply: How many people running a iron block in a C5 vette?