Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty knocking... simpoms and short story. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nasty knocking... simpoms and short story. what do you think?

This really sucks, i'm probably going to have to pull the motor again after just recently installing it.

After installing the 422, I went and got it tuned. It was running strong and making strong numbers. After taking it on a test spin after the tune, I realized the oil pressure was sitting at 20 psi warm. I drove it home and let it cool off. Then when I started it, the pressure was fine untill it warmed up again and it sat at 20psi again. I've read this problem is consistant with a bad sender, so I went and bought a new one. Now here is where it gets bad / weird.

I took off the intake and replaced the sender. Put the car back together and started it. Immediately the oil pressure shot to 80 psi. I thought maybe the sensor was bad, or wiring... something along those lines. So while it was running I had my buddy watch the guage while I mesed with the wire. He said it dropped to where it was supposed to be for a second when I touched it, then went back up. Only got it to do it once though. Perplexed, I sat in the car watching the guage while the motor warmed up. Total run time was maybe 3 minutes. All of a sudded the idle started surging and then it died. SO i started it back up to hear a major knocking. it was loud and hard enough to feel it in the clutch pedal. I immediately turned off the car.

I started it two more times after pulling the valve covers and looking for anything wrong. let it run for about 5 seconds each time. Each time it was knocking and the pressure was at 80psi. It's so loud I cant even tell where it's comming from.

My car only cranks over twice before it starts, but it doesnt knock while its cranking, only right when it starts. I'm guessing it's a baring, but why would the oil pressure be at 80PSI on a cold idle? I would expect the oil pressure to be zero, I dont know if it's a coincidence with the new sensor or what.

anyone have any input?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothin, huh?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Oil psi is weird, stuck regulator in pump if guage is correct, maybee try a mechanical guage to confirm oil psi. If the motor is knocking, (not ticking like it's a rocker or lifter) pull it and explorer. Your sig states you have good pieces, do not destoy your shortblock running it too long. If something major is going bad, metal travels fast and will wipe a lot out.