Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam tuning issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam tuning issue

I've got a small issue with my '01 SS. I finished a cam install 3 weeks ago and got it tuned last week. The issue is during acceleration at around 2000-2500 rpm the car hesitates, but when I give it more throttle the car runs fine. The hesitation is like a misfire...like it's not getting enough fuel. I really don't like driving it around like this. It doesn't seem to do it all the time either. I had Speed Inc. tune it and they ironed out all of the rough edges. There is no abnormal valvetrain noise, so I don't expect any broken parts. In fact I haven't run it all that hard since finishing the cam install. The hardest it has been run was during the dyno session. The bottom line is, does anyone have a clue what could be causing this...or had a similar situation before. Could it be the fact that my car has cats? They are high flow, but is that a possible problem? Speed Inc. mentioned that they are sometimes a problem on cammed cars. I've always had an ORY before. Also, is the fuel pump the problem? I've read that they are good for well over stock hp levels. Any input would be very helpful.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Launching!

You didn't say what cam your running, but if you went too big on the cam , maybe your fuel system (injectors/fuel pump ) can't supply enough fuel thus causing the hesitation. You could also have a injector that could be dirty or your fuel pump is not putting out the pressure it should. If you have a fuel pressure tester you could find out real fast if its a bad fuel pump. You can also pull the plugs and see what they tell you, if there is a dirty injector you should be able to see a difference from that plug when compared with the others. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:20 PM

The cam is a Comp (TSP custom grind) 233/239 595/603 114LSA.