Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

NGK TR55IX Iridium plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGK TR55IX Iridium plugs

I know the prefered plug is the NGK TR6 but I can't help but wonder if the TR55IX iridiums will work just fine. I have a set of these that are like new and I ran them gapped at .038 with a 100shot of nitrous. They performed great and by the looks of them when I pulled them out they look like they were brand new with a nice tan tint. Just want you want. I wonder how they would work in an FI motor? Iridium can withstand much higher temps than copper plugs and take less energy to fire off.

What are your thoughts on these plugs?
Here's a little info I got on the web about iridums:

"Iridium has a melting point of 2450°C, considerably higher than Platinum, and its strength - approximately 8 times that of platinum. As a result the spark plugs centre electrode can be made with a much smaller diameter than with platinum types, Gold or gold palladium and copper/nickel types. This means that spark plugs potential difference is more concentrated and hence less 'spark jump' voltage is required - this can be as much as 5,000 volts less than with standard plug types. Ignition is improved and less strain is placed on the ignition system. Benefits of improved ignition/combustion include better fuel economy, increased power/acceleration and especially better throttle response."
Old 07-02-2006, 12:20 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

I switched to the TR55 IX from regular TR55s on my 2002 Formula and the car runs the exact same ET and MPH in the 1/4 but they are a better metal and should last longer. TR55 IX are too hot to run with boost.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

I run TR6's currenty with a 100 shot wet. Worked great about 20k.
I am about to change plugs, I will try them out also.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have tr6ix now.

Quick Reply: NGK TR55IX Iridium plugs