Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Limiter??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rev Limiter??

I have been reading some forums in the Auto Tranny area, and alot of people dont hit there rev limiter until they hit around 61 to 6300 rpms.. Is this due from them tuning it? And how hard is that on the engine? I know for older engines they rate them low for rpm's but will go alot higher if you let them. I am not to high on knowledge on these new ones. But if I decide to get a programmer and redue my rev limit. will it screw something up? were I may have to belt out some money for parts?

thanks

lane
Old 07-05-2006, 09:01 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the stock valvesprings, you do not want to rev it past 6k due to the fact you'll probably bend some pushrods. The stock cam stops making power right around there anyway. When you upgrade the cam, you MUST upgrade the valvesprings. These two things will allow you to raise your rev limiter to take advantage of the extra power it makes up top.

If I didn't shift my car at at least 6600, it wouldn't run so much better than when I had the stock cam. You pick your shift points around where your car makes power. Some people with small cams may shift at 6300 while others shift at 6800 (most don't spin higher than that cam only).
Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending qhat gears you have you shouldn't see the rpm limiter at all with an auto.

You should just stick the tranny in D/3rd and let it do it's own thing. It stock shift points are ~5850rpm. And with my 2.73 gears I reach the 158mph speed limiter before the rpm limiter in 3rd. 3.23's or after market gears may mean you could over rev in 3rd.

Valve float is likely to prevent any real change with a stock cam (heads, springs, etc). Popular hot rodding mag did a write a year or two back. I think you could probably squeeze another 200rpm or so out of it safely, but you probably won't see any real power gain as PEAK HP is belowe the red line anyhow.

If you cam the car and use better head studs (ARP) and or cyinder head then revving it higher will allow more HP. Although the 4l60e tranny doesn't always seem so keen on high revs.

Personally I'd probably be looking at 6300rpm-6500rpm shift point with a cam and 6500-6800rpm rpm limit depending on what I went for. Some people (mainly T56 M6 guys) will spin the motor to 7000rpm before shifting.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

No point in spinning really high unless you have a cam that makes good power up that high and you have the valvetrain components to handle the power and revs.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, appriciate the info.

lane