Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is this thing on my shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default what is this thing on my shifter?

it looks like a selanoid with a rod comming out of it that connects to the shifter. And it has a plug plugged into it. Do i need it for something electronical for the trans or some safety devise?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a safety to be sure your foot is on the brake before it will come out of park.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

no, thats a cable, and i already took that off. And i dont need to use the brake to pull it out of park with it still in. So.........................
Old 07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the Brake Shift Interlock, if you disconnected the electrical connector from it, it will no longer power up the solenoid when the car is on, which (be a cleverly desinged lever) holds the detent button from being depressed. Perhaps it is no longer recieving the proper voltage from it's source, which would render it inoperable. When the brake is depressed, the solenoid is deactivated and you can depress the Detent button on top of the shifter **** to select a gear. The cable is used for holding the ignition cylinder from going into the locked position if the shifter assembly is not yet fully in park, that's a security feature.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

so if it doesnt allow you to pull it out of park with it disconnected, but if i disconnect it AND take it off them im ok then right? I didnt know if it had anything to do with the trans shifting gears or anything. Then my next question is, on the right side of the shifter theres also another computer box that moves with the shifter also. Has a wiring harness pulgged into it as well. Now does that have anything to do with the shifting also, or is ALL the shifting done through the cable.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then my next question is, on the right side of the shifter theres also another computer box that moves with the shifter also.
Thats the park/neutral safety/reverse light/hatch interlock switch.
But don't take my word for it.