Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter bore pitting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lifter bore pitting?

Just picked up a new shortblock from a well respected vendor here... Before I jump his case I would like some KNOWLEDGEABLE opinions on this.... It is pitting in the lifter bore. This is a new core, so what gives? The pitting looks really bad in the pictures. I can feel it with my fingers but just barely. Same and even on all the bores.

What do you think?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about that. My brand new aluminum block was like that and it's running with no problem. Just make sure that your lifters slide easily in the bores (not too loose, not too tight; slide fit, they have to go down by gravity with oil on them) and you'll be fine. Maybe you could just polish the bores slightly with 600 grit sand paper to make sure you don't have any burr inside the bore.

Just for your information, I had a cam-bolt sprocket issue (They loosen!!) at the beginning of the season and the cam was walking into the block and broke all the lifters A few lifters scored the bottom of lifters bores (I had to remove a few of them by the bottom!!) and to save my block, I polished the bottom of the bores and the car still have good oil pressure and no ticking sound. I think that the scores are not so bad, They make room for oil and better lubrication (I hope)

SSDION
Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks man, good info.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont worry about it, theyre just tiny voilds in the casting process. Pretty standard. Think about the oil hole in the lifter bore. Thats a great big voil and it dosnt harm anything... Those tiny pits wont matter.

Quick Reply: Lifter bore pitting?