Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting Engine Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Engine Help

OK, I have exhausted the seach button over the past 3 days. I am going to paint the usual, Lid, Lower airbox and select few other things. Then polishing some things. Got the polishing down. I do not have an airbrush or anything, but I know that you can get that deep wet paint look like the cars exterior with rattle cans. I have seen it done time and time again on this site. You guys do some truley amazing things.

OK, so the question is what grit(s) sandpaper, what primers (if any), clearcoats. How do you wetsand? Is it as easy as it sounds or are there actually type of wet sanding paper. I am an IDIOT when it comes to painting, but love to learn. I have the factory Lid to practice on so I hope I can get some good results. Even if you just have a link to an auto painting for retards site. ANYTHING..

Sorry for the long wind but I really want to treat my baby right the first time. Thanks in advance for any help that can be given. You guys rock
Old 07-13-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Okay I just tried the house of kolor paint that walmart has. And it is INCREDIBLE! Go to the nitrous section and look at my bottle I painted with it. And they have primer pearl basecoat then your pearl color paint in basically any color you want. They also have the clearcoat that goes with it. And actually they have the sandpaper you need to all of it right back there in the automtive section within 5 feet of eachoher. They have a package of assorted sandpapers to with various grits you want something around a 300 or so to start off with depending on how bad off your starting surface is. Then you want to get sandable primer and prime then sand then prime then sand again until you get a smooth surface going up higher in grit as you go. finishing with something somewhere in the 2000 grit area. Wetsanding is just sanding but keeping your surface wet while sanding. Theres no need for you to do that when painting engine parts. And BE PATIENT! you may mess up it happens just let it dry then sand it down and try again. The more time you put into it the better it will look.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, found the sticky hehe. Just got out of sergery and I am on Narcotic pain killers. A valid excuse. HEHE Sorry. Feel free to post any other changes, or ideas. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS144
Okay I just tried the house of kolor paint that walmart has. And it is INCREDIBLE! Go to the nitrous section and look at my bottle I painted with it. And they have primer pearl basecoat then your pearl color paint in basically any color you want. They also have the clearcoat that goes with it. And actually they have the sandpaper you need to all of it right back there in the automtive section within 5 feet of eachoher. They have a package of assorted sandpapers to with various grits you want something around a 300 or so to start off with depending on how bad off your starting surface is. Then you want to get sandable primer and prime then sand then prime then sand again until you get a smooth surface going up higher in grit as you go. finishing with something somewhere in the 2000 grit area. Wetsanding is just sanding but keeping your surface wet while sanding. Theres no need for you to do that when painting engine parts. And BE PATIENT! you may mess up it happens just let it dry then sand it down and try again. The more time you put into it the better it will look.

WOW you painted that bottle with a rattle can? I saw that post earlier and it looks like a professional job