Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird coil pack firing issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird coil pack firing issue...

I have a friend with a '98 Vette that when you first fire up the car in open loop all the cylinders fire. Once the car goes into closed loop, one bank of coil packs does not fire. Once you run the RPM's up to 3200, they start to fire again. The grounds are on the back of the head. Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas on what to check??? Heads and cam were put in along with headers and O2 extensions.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

I can offer nothing to help, but I am chasing a similar sounding misfire problem on bank 2 as well so I'm curious what you find.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

I've been chasing a misfire for a week or more and finally cured it with a new coil pack on #8. That plug kept fouling, so I replaced it and the wire before trying to change that coil since it is of course the worst one to try to remove. I never had a misfire code, but did get a lean code on bank 2. RMC_SS_LDO, I guess your a boomer baby judging by your duty station. I was a nuke on a fast attack out of Norfolk in the 90's. Always wanted to serve on a boomer but never got the opportunity. Keep it up!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

I am stuck with a similar problem and no one can really give advice :S.
Just had my valve covers apart and put everyting back together and randomly later on it started intermittenly misfiring sometimes run good sometimes not. driver side plugs were all wet...hmmmm coils..
Well the coil assembly was loose so i figured the coils werent being grounded, well tried that tonight and it still misfires here and there.

I dont know what it can be, has to be something feeding the coils on that side..ie groundwire...or possibly buti doubt it..02 sensor isssue.

What else could only affect one side like that?
Good luck ill try figure it out