Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Spacer Won't Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:49 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crank Spacer Won't Fit

I'm gathering parts for building my 408 stroker. I have a used LQ4 block and have just received most of my parts in the last couple of weeks. I bought a Callies DragonSlayer 4.0 Crank (beautiful piece by the way), CompStar rods and some other parts from the good folks at Thunder Racing (one of several excellent sponsors). I also ordered a GM Crank Spacer to go between the output end of the crank and the flexplate. The counterbored side of the spacer is smaller in diameter than the male end of the centering portion that projects out from the crank by maybe .015" (haven't measured it yet). I plan to just have the spacer turned on a lathe until it will mate with the crank. This won't be a problem, but I was surprised that it is an issue. Has anyone else run into this?

I've done a couple of searches and I haven't found the answer to this thus far.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-18-2006, 12:05 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

TTT
Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-21-2006, 04:20 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I went to the public library here in Wichita, KS today and looked up the spacer installation in the 2003 factory manual. The spacer is an interference fit on the crankshaft and you are supposed to pull the female portion onto the male guide with the bolts, tightening in three steps according to a specified pattern. Removal of the spacer uses the two threaded holes and two of the flywheel bolts as jack screws to pull the spacer off.

Steve