Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are some rpms louder than others?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why are some rpms louder than others?

I have been running with the cutout open for the last couple of days, and it seems that at some rpms are louder than others. At 1100 it is very quiet. at 1800 it is fairly loud and it seems at 2500 and higher it gets quieter. Why is this?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prince xizor
I have been running with the cutout open for the last couple of days, and it seems that at some rpms are louder than others. At 1100 it is very quiet. at 1800 it is fairly loud and it seems at 2500 and higher it gets quieter. Why is this?
The answer is called "drone".

Certain RPMs simply resonate inside the car more, especially since the cutout is right under the car and doesn't exit out the back like your tailpipes would.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Teching In

exactly. drone is a certain frequency that, when exposed to the right acoustic environment, somehow magnifies/amplifies into an annoying HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM that you can pretty much feel.

btw, cutouts FTW.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:09 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3VstangGT
exactly. drone is a certain frequency that, when exposed to the right acoustic environment, somehow magnifies/amplifies into an annoying HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM that you can pretty much feel.

btw, cutouts FTW.

Reminds me of Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm. That song rocks.

Resonation is a pretty amazing thing. Every object has a "natural frequency" that it vibrates at. Rubbing your finger along the rim of a glass hits this and causes the noticeable sound you hear if you do it right.

Maby the most well known victim of resonation is the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Do a video search for it and you'll see what I mean.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

Resonation is a pretty amazing thing. Every object has a "natural frequency" that it vibrates at. Rubbing your finger along the rim of a glass hits this and causes the noticeable sound you hear if you do it right.
So like adding water to the glass to produce a higher tone, what can be done to change when the drone or resonance occurs?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Maby the most well known victim of resonation is the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Do a video search for it and you'll see what I mean.
the craziest thing about that bridge incident is the guy was on the birdge while filming it and he didn't die! his dog, which was in the car while filming, did

natural frequency is why some buildings fall during an earthquake and some do not. when an earthquake hits a building's natural frequency, say bye-be.

i remember there was once an earthquake in a certain city and all buildings of roughly the same specific height/stories fell and no others did. i know it's not too detailed, but it's a great example of natural frequency and resonance.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by prince xizor
So like adding water to the glass to produce a higher tone, what can be done to change when the drone or resonance occurs?
Buy a diffrent car

The resonant frequency of something (like your car) is based on the physical size/shape of the object.

To change the frequency at which something resonates, you have to change the physical dimensions.

Sort of like your example above, but thinking of a bottle of water and you blow across the opening to make it "whistle". If you pour water out, the tone changes (gets lower). You have changed the physical size (or in this case volume) of the chamber of air and thus changing the frequency.