Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift kit + hand held = ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shift kit + hand held = ?

Hey guys i was looking at the shift kits and wondering if my tuner should do the same thing and it would be redundant to buy the kit. Or if the kit would actually help me? I searched and only found shift kit info no handheld info. i want a stall but thats way down the road. just wondering opinions on it being a waste of money or not.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

From what I have read, you do not want to do both.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Second Sleeper Club

Some hand helds can firm up shift points and line presures. I used to use a handheld but have since found that it ususally is better to get the car professionally tuned (ls1 edit, etc). This eliminated the need for a shift kit in my case and in the case of others I know. Sometimes the handhelds use generic settings and may jack your A/F mix and make the car run real rich.
Just my 2 cents as this solution worked well for me.
Good luck!
BTW- Get your Stall more sooner than later. YOU WON'T REGRET IT, wish I would have done it sooner!!!

Last edited by jitsumania; 07-22-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:22 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

The Shift kit will change the accumulation values, thereby changing "shift feel". With the modified Trans-Go Performance Shift kit, you can have smooth part throttle shifts & firm WOT shifts, and this will add to the durability of the unit. If you go this route, do not add firmness with the computer program, as this will "only" firm up part to medium throttle openings, and does nothing for WOT shifts, and this is not needed for added durability, and in fact can subtract from it.