Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theory Or Fact About Choosing A Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Theory Or Fact About Choosing A Converter?

This makes good sense but wanted others opinions. I had my car put on the dyno and came out with the following numbers:

400RWHP at 6500RPM

379RWTQ at 3500 RPM (Dyno Graph shows TQ slides down ward after peak, not flat)

So, I had a 2800 stall at the time I put my car on the dyno. I was cutting 1.75ish 60’ times on that 2800 converter. I decided I wanted to improve my 60’s since I was running a 12.1 ¼’s. I was hoping going larger would get me into the 11’s. I went with a 3800 (closer to 4000 with my HP) Fuddle converter with a 2.3str.

After installing the 3800 converter I took it to the track and the 60’ times did not change. I started talking with some people and here is the thought.

If my peak TQ is at 3500 RPM and I am now launching at about 4000rpm. I have actually launched the car on the downward slide side of my dyno graph TQ wise. At 4000 RPM may car is showing about 360RWTQ on the dyno graph. If that is the case I am missing out on 20RWTQ by launching at about 4000RPM instead of 3500 RPM.

In theory would it not make the most sense to try to match your converter to your max TQ RPM? That would mean my converter should be a 3500ish converter?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-20-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, what are your 60's?

i cant go with that theory for two reasons.

1. your overall power is higher at a higher RPM, and your converter WILL convert that to torque to get you off the line...
2. there are guys with much larger converters, on stock motors, running much faster times.

i have a feeling its more in your car, then in your converter..... what tires are you running at the track?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

1. your overall power is higher at a higher RPM, and your converter WILL convert that to torque to get you off the line...
2. there are guys with much larger converters, on stock motors, running much faster times.

i have a feeling its more in your car, then in your converter..... what tires are you running at the track?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

But power is not what gets you down the track, it is TQ. I had a car with 40 less rear wheel HP than my current car (98WS6) same gears, bigger cam etc but the TQ numbers were about 45 foot lbs more than my current setup. That car was faster.

I am running Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radials, AWESOME tires!

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-20-2006, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Drop some weight out of it ,get some bigs and littles,and add the 12 bolt with 4.10s =mid 11s or better . You are making more power than me and you have heads,you should be quicker.Its all in the 60ft!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
But power is not what gets you down the track, it is TQ. I had a car with 40 less rear wheel HP than my current car (98WS6) same gears, bigger cam etc but the TQ numbers were about 45 foot lbs more than my current setup. That car was faster.

I am running Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radials, AWESOME tires!

Thanks,

Bill

i agree...
if you feed more power (power as in actual power, not horsepower measurement, not torque, but actual power) to the ground, you go faster.

where that point of peak power is, changes on the motor.

however, we're talking about a 224 cammed LS1... so its well known where that point is.
the wonderful thing about torque converters, is they can take that power, and make it into massive amounts of torque to get you off the line.

you just need to setup the car to start at that peak and stay there.
honestly, you have what i call a small converter.... lol.

whats your current 60'? what tires are you running? any spin? what suspension? what front shocks?