Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which long tubes for a heads cam LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which long tubes for a heads cam LS1?

Well, I have tried searching to no avail. Please forgive all the questions, I'm an LT1 guy. I didn't have anywhere near this many options for long tubes when I bought mine 3 years ago, lol.

Anyway, in the next month or so my brother is doing heads and cam on his 99 camaro. However, all he has is a cat-back, lid, and gears on his car. So, I need to figure out which set of headers that I should recommend for him.

I tried searching to find a thread comparing the 1-7/8 primary headers to the 1-3/4 but was unable to find anything on it. I wondered if it was worth while to get a set with the larger primaries or if it would just lose velocity.

Considering that my brother is not the most handy lad working on a car and I will probably wind up doing most of the install, are there some headers that have less fitment issues than others. Ground clearance is also a concern since the speed bumps around here rub my jet hot long tubes on my stock height LT1 TA.

Thanks for you help in advance guys.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depends on how much money hes wanting to spend. and is his car lowered any or is he planning on lowering it??
Old 07-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Teching In

He is not planning on lowering the car. However, around here there are a lot of really bad speed bumps (in his apartment complex, local stores and shopping centers and so forth). My friend and I who both have stock height LT1 TA's with long tubes scrape on quite a few. Some scraping is going to be expected since these speed bumps are so bad, but if there are any that I should straight up avoid due to clearance, please let me know.

He could buy the more expensive ones like the kooks or QTP's if he really wanted to. However, if there is little to no gain in going with those over the less expensive JetHots or hookers it may not be worth it to him. Are the only ones that come in the 1-7/8 the Kooks, QTP, and Grots? He isn't one of those guys that have to have every last HP out of thier car, so if its only going to amount to 5 or less HP then its not worth the added price of the kooks or QTP. Now if it was 10 or more then that may be a different story.

By the way, at a later date he is going to add nitrous if that makes any difference in whether the larger primary is justifiable or not.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

i would say if on a budget get the coated pacesetters and if you have 1K to spend get the qtps or kooks.there won't be much of a difference between any of the lts that are 1 3/4 performance wise and on a mild setup i'd say the 1 7/8 won't be much of an improvement but on the jug they might be.i say get the pacesetters,great ground clearance,easy fitment and will last quite a while.