Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

autocrossed this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autocrossed this past weekend

Well, I guess it isn't street racing, but I went autocrossing with a couple buddies on saturday. My second time doing it, and it was quite a bit of fun. Freaking hot (about 105 on the pavement), but still fun.

I did turn in the best time between myself, Tim's 01 SS with bolt ons, and Jason's near stock S2000. I have some vids, but due to my ignorance with the camera the vids are about 100MB each.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

an f-body beating an S2000 in auto-x. i love it. take that honda fans everywhere, ouch. great runs.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

What does that have to do with Honda? A Tercel can beat an Enzo in Autocross...

Street racing: 5% driver, 95% car

Drag racing: 20% driver, 80% car

Autocross and very small road racing circuits: 80% driver, 20% car

Doesn't make much sense talking about the car too much when discussing autocross to me... Talking drag racing? Then, yeah, tell me about the cars. Talking autocross? Tell me a little about these drivers.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Well, I guess it isn't street racing, but I went autocrossing with a couple buddies on saturday. My second time doing it, and it was quite a bit of fun. Freaking hot (about 105 on the pavement), but still fun.

I did turn in the best time between myself, Tim's 01 SS with bolt ons, and Jason's near stock S2000. I have some vids, but due to my ignorance with the camera the vids are about 100MB each.

How many cars total?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
What does that have to do with Honda? A Tercel can beat an Enzo in Autocross...

Street racing: 5% driver, 95% car

Drag racing: 20% driver, 80% car

Autocross and very small road racing circuits: 80% driver, 20% car

Doesn't make much sense talking about the car too much when discussing autocross to me... Talking drag racing? Then, yeah, tell me about the cars. Talking autocross? Tell me a little about these drivers.
????

when S2k people lose to a V8 car, their answer, along with many ricers, is "take your car to autocross and you'll lose". that's always the ricer excuse, our car is only fast in a straight line. i'm congratulating him for beating a japtrap in the areas our cars are supposed to be bad in.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
????

when S2k people lose to a V8 car, their answer, along with many ricers, is "take your car to autocross and you'll lose". that's always the ricer excuse, our car is only fast in a straight line. i'm congratulating him for beating a japtrap in the areas our cars are supposed to be bad in.
Really? Well, I've never heard that from the 2 or 3 S2K's I've streetraced... I suppose those would be "ricer excuses." So they "all say that?" Hmmm... I don't think so... Not even most... Must be a local thing where you live.

Like I said, a VERY short circuit, or autocross, nearly equalizes the advantages/disadvantages of cars and lays almost all of it on the driver's lap... So there is no "good" and "bad" car...

Unless your talking about an obvious difference like an 18-wheeler vs. an F-1 car, then yeah skills won't matter there.

Supposed to be bad in? No way, both the SS and the S2k are potentially quick, just within clicks of each other on a road course.

What the hell's a "japtrap"?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was actually quite a few cars, I think about 38 total. The course was fun. It was my second time with that group, and I liked the course much more this time. It was faster and not as many 180 turns. I could make the TA drift thru most of the turns if I wanted too (did a little by accident the first run ).

As for me versus the honda we are pretty near equal as drivers. It was his second autocross too. Cars are drastically different, obviously. Personally, both this time and the last time we were not very far apart. I beat him by about 1.5 seconds, not much. His car is smoother, less of a brute force machine. My car could make up some time by just accelerating hard out of turns (the spectators thought it was cool if I put it in first coming out of the turns and rocketed away). I did have the loudest car there though

Also, if there is any doubt about it being mostly driver think about this. The fastest guy there was an 02 Z06, he ran about a 48 flat. My best time was a 57 somthing. There was also a 98 GTS viper that never made it under 68 seconds.

Also, the one main thing that can turn your car into an awesome performer is good tires. I bet I could drop 5 seconds with just some decent road racing tires.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
????

....... i'm congratulating him for beating a japtrap in the areas our cars are supposed to be bad in.......
He has LTs, cam, and cutout. The S2000 is near stock. Power matters even in autoX, especially with good tires.

I say congrats to both cars.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Power matters a little, but not much. The speeds are too low, and honestly for this course my gears were not optimal. I used second most of the time, but it kept the rpm a little too low with my cam. First gear was opposite problem.

My friend with the S2000 did not buy it go fast in a line, he bought it to have fun with and he likes that type of car. Can I roast him at the dragstrip? Absolutely; he won't deny one bit and he does not care.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Well, I guess it isn't street racing...
As a general rule of thumb, if you start out a thread by saying "I guess
this isn't..." in that particular forum, you can pretty much guarantee
it's getting moved or locked.

We have an auto-x forum.

Now that the Lounge is gone it seems like we're getting a lot of those
posts in this section.