Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning quarts of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning quarts of oil?

Hey guys got a good one for you! 402 has 6000 miles and every 126 miles it uses about a quart of oil. What could it be? This is what I know my leak down test said that it leaks about 5% across the cylinders, not bad. I still run the factory PCV system, could that be the problem? The head have been checked out twice and nothing found. Any input?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SunshinePerformance
Hey guys got a good one for you! 402 has 6000 miles and every 126 miles it uses about a quart of oil. What could it be? This is what I know my leak down test said that it leaks about 5% across the cylinders, not bad. I still run the factory PCV system, could that be the problem? The head have been checked out twice and nothing found. Any input?
My friend had the same problem. When we pulled the valve covers for the rockers when we did his cam, we found a nice size hole in the intake runner of his Patriot stage 2 heads. Obviously caused from overporting. Maybe you have the same problem seeing as you have the same heads? Some JB weld and a catch can later, oil consumption was about normal. Here's a picture to show what i'm talking about.

Either that or... how many miles are on the motor? Maybe the rings didn't seat.
it's a possibility aswell. Pull your plugs and check them all out. You can tell a world of problems from them.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

check your rocker bolts and maks sure there is sealant on them, maybe valve seals(exhaust) and maybe some pcv...i plan on putting breathers on...but im sure you have a much more serious prob.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the thread. I am having a similar problem but oil consumption is a bit less (1qt./500 miles). I setup the catch can but no oil found. Plugs 3 and 5 oil fouled. White smoke on starting (after sitting for a few hours). I had sealed the rockers with white (teflon) thread sealer. The picture is great.
I'll look there next.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Well guys I too checked the rockers and sealed them, I have the catch can mod but it dosent catch to much. The can will pick up about 2-3 oz every oil change not much. The motor has only 6000mi on it so rings?????
Old 07-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Sunshine:

I have heard that one can tell rings by decellerating down a long hill from about 50mph. I just took mine out and tried it (from about 75 in 3rd), but no visible smoke out the rear. I also have oil on plug threads up to the seat but absolutely no oil leaks from valve covers etc.. I am going to inspect the heads next for cracks or holes like the picture. Maybe I used the wrong sealant on the threads.

As an aside, after a head gasket failure I sent the heads back to Gunner at Patriot at his request. They were disassembled, checked, cleaned etc.. and had a clean bill of health.