Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent push rods. One missing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bent push rods. One missing???

While I am in no way a good enough mechanic to swap heads, I do have a good understanding of how things work. 2 weeks ago my bro bent some push rods in his 2000 LS1 Camero. So he looked to a buddy of his to help resolve this issues. They found 2 bent on the pass side and went to the drivers side. When they went to pull out a pushrod it was gone. Now I know it feel into the block, but I thought a lifter would hold it up. They pulled the inttake last night to find the canal is enclosed, so now they are pulling the head. What a nightmare I just don't understand where it went. The mechanic thinks it may have broke but I don't believe that. What should we expect now. Any ideas. The car ran but idle was off and it had a knock that would come and go.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well, the cam pushes on the lifter which pushes on the pushrod. If the pushrod broke or went past the lifter The only place that the pushrod could go would be down into the crankcase. I'd drop the oil pan and fish around in there to find your missing pushrod. It could also be caught in the windage tray if you don't find it in the pan.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've broken a pushrod before.... the mechanic used some kinda of skinny magnet and pulled it from the valve cover..
Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by rimalm
i've broken a pushrod before.... the mechanic used some kinda of skinny magnet and pulled it from the valve cover..
If it stuck around the lifter area, that would be possible, but not if it fell down into the engine.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Damn....that sucks. It might have caused more damage than you thought also. Be prepared for the worst.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Fortunately its not my car but I feel for my little bro. I am going to look for a telescope type magnet and check in the pan. Since it was not knocking bad or smoking I am hopeful. He drove it to my house to do the work and it was not even knocking??? Very strange.