Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

springs? with SBC valves

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default springs? with SBC valves

i have ported heads by Agostino Racing. They used SBC valves (larger stems) and I'm trying to track down an aftermarket spring/retainer combo that will fit and hold these valves. Gunnar at Patriot said that they have the Golds kit that would work, and Jason at TSP thinks that the PRC's would work also. I've read that a LS1 valve has 2 valve lock grooves and a SBC valve has one lock groove. is this an interference? has anyone else had to figure this out? I'm going with a Torquer 2 btw.

does anyone have Patriot GOlds or PRC spring measurements handy?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS1's 8mm (5/16) stem only has 1 groove.

The larger SBC valves will probably work with either patriot or prc springs, as long as you get SBC valve locks. Remember that patriot uses super7 oversized locks, while PRC will use stock sized ones.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
i have ported heads by Agostino Racing. They used SBC valves (larger stems) and I'm trying to track down an aftermarket spring/retainer combo that will fit and hold these valves. Gunnar at Patriot said that they have the Golds kit that would work, and Jason at TSP thinks that the PRC's would work also. I've read that a LS1 valve has 2 valve lock grooves and a SBC valve has one lock groove. is this an interference? has anyone else had to figure this out? I'm going with a Torquer 2 btw.

does anyone have Patriot Golds or PRC spring measurements handy?
We offer the Patriot Gold springs on one of our CNC ported SBC castings. So we have the complete kit for a SBC in stock. These include ti retainers, machined locks, machined bases, viton seals, and our Patriot Gold springs. These are $255.00 for the kit.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

if thats the case, shouldnt my valve locks that are currently on my COMP 941's and retainers also work? .are the super 7 locks what would make the Patriots work with my valves? larger locks?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

if thats the case, shouldnt my valve locks that are currently on my COMP 941's and retainers also work? .are the super 7 locks what would make the Patriots work with my valves? larger locks?
According to comp, the retainer you have is a 728 retainer. This retainer will not work with the Patriot Gold springs because the ID is too large for the Patriot Gold. We have had several customers use this kit on LS heads with SBC valves.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

thanks Gunnar!, thats what I wanted to hear. When i start arranging parts I'll go with the Golds....
Old 07-26-2006, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

thanks Gunnar!, thats what I wanted to hear. When i start arranging parts I'll go with the Golds....

No problem, just let us know when you are ready.