Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

upgrade question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade question?

i was wondering if a chip like this one http://performance.thepartsbin.com/b...5&brandid=1427
would help at all in accelration or top speed and if i could tell the difference at all with it on
Old 07-26-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

IMO... garbage.

If you need a tune either order one from a sponsor or have a reputatble performance shop handle it specifically for your car. But if your car is basically stock then leave it alone since the stoock tune (IMO) is fine the way it is.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned

agreed ^^

Dont even waste your time on a chip let alone that one..
Old 07-26-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Waste of time and money.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

They're a scam in sheep's clothing so to speak...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

I have a custom tune Diablosport Predator, and it DOES make a differance. No, not a huge diff, like adding 100+ horse to a diesel just by plug'n play, but it does definetely help. I'd say a good, name brand tuner is absolutely worth it, when combined with other mods youre doing. If all you do it buy the tuner, it's still worth it in the long run, since along with the performance options it's also a diagnostic scanner, for your car and others in the same year range. If you ever get a 'check engine' light pop up, all you have to do is plug in your scanner and see if its something stupid like a gas cap or O2 sensor, rather then taking it to a shop and paying $60 just for a code scan.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
I have a custom tune Diablosport Predator, and it DOES make a differance. No, not a huge diff, like adding 100+ horse to a diesel just by plug'n play, but it does definetely help. I'd say a good, name brand tuner is absolutely worth it, when combined with other mods youre doing. If all you do it buy the tuner, it's still worth it in the long run, since along with the performance options it's also a diagnostic scanner, for your car and others in the same year range. If you ever get a 'check engine' light pop up, all you have to do is plug in your scanner and see if its something stupid like a gas cap or O2 sensor, rather then taking it to a shop and paying $60 just for a code scan.
Not trying to disagree with anyone above, just adding that my local Auto Zone has read and reset SES light twice for free with their scanner. Hard to justify spending the bucks on that...too many better mods to use that cash on.