Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Painted rims to Polished rims...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted rims to Polished rims...

Okay so after owning my car for almost a year I decided it was time to take off the spray paint that was origanally put on by the previous owner.

So I started yesterday with a gallon of Dad's Easy Spray. Found @ a local paint store. Where I worked a year ago. Anyways. from that I got a couple of chip brushes (throw away kind). and gloves...solvant safe ones...

I then jacked up my car. Taking off all rims. If you are the catious type like myself you can have the tires un-mounted. I need two rear tires so I decieded to keep those ones mounted up.

Then I began the skin burning process known to most guys that have tried this. Wear gloves I repeat wear gloves! So now pour it into a container that is solvant safe. Then apply it like its going out of style. I would leave it on for about 30 minutes. You might have to do more then one coat. For some reason for me it took 2 because the guy had used black primer.

After letting it sit I pressure washed it off. A garden hose will work with a high pressure nozzle but a pressure washer is by far your best bet.

I then went down to autozone and got some mag and aluminum polish and the power ball!!! I didn't feel like making a 20 minute drive to go to home depot or I would have pick up a polishing ball there for about half the price.

So next you get out your drill hook up your power ball. I like to spread the mag and aluminum polish on with my finger (on to the rim). Then I hit it with the power ball let it sit for about 1-2 minute(s). Then I come back and wipe it off with a terry towel (also purchased at autozone).

I will also have before and after pictures up later...so you can really see what I mean about DAMN!!! clean!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

I'd love to see those pics. I'm thinking about buying a set of rims that are painted. I probably will take the paint off and maybe later I'll chrome them.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I need pics!! I have the 10 spokes and I wonder how hard it would be to do this to them since they have the original factory paint
Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What a tease. It's like that baby sitter that said she wanted to give it up, but never did.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

LFNDUST- Very cool to have a project go well.

Click on my site and look under the "rims" section. ~Joshua
Old 08-06-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOW!!!! Those are very nice!! Is it the same price for the SS 10 spokes