Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflex or Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mufflex or Duals?

Well my new setup will be coming to life soon enough and im getting rid of the old setup.

2-Borla Xr1s of the collectors and dumped.

Now im thinking about a 4in mufflex witha spintech muffler, its nice and simple but still allows great flow.

Or and 3in X system, might just use the xr1s or get some bullets.

I big concern i have is clearance, the xr1s dumped have about 1 1/2 of clearance as it is now.

Its an Lt1 so i have to fab something up.

Also Do you guys think the Mufflex will leave that much on the table compared to Duals?

Tony.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
hashtagBMW

Up top.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about flow, but Mufflex w/ Spintech on an Lt1 is the most bad *** sounding exhaust IMO.
I put it on my Ls1 though and I didn't like it unless I had the cap opened (which I did about 99.9% of the time)... Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though they do sound badass, Ive heard that the spintechs dont flow very well. Ive heard of several cars losing a significant amount of rwhp (like 10+) going thru that muffler over an open cutout.

Keep the xr1s because they flow well and are pretty pricey new, and throw them behind a dual 3" xpipe. Theres not much out that will flow better than that. OR run a cheaper muffler (dynomax bullet) and sell the xr1s to pay for a chunk of the xpipe
Old 07-28-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't lose but 4 hp from open headers to my 4" mufflex single hide away tip with flowmaster. Not sure about the Spintech. GMMG loses 3 hp. from open headers to GMMG installed. I wouldn't spend the money to run true duals out the tail, or dump true duals when it's illegal in most states (exhaust doesn't exit passenger section of vehicle). LT's, y-pipe, and decent cat-back is plenty unless you need every thousandth of a second in the 1/4. In that case, your car needs to be completely gutted to make it worth your while.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:45 PM
hashtagBMW

Weight is also a big factor in a catback. I am lookin for everything so i dont plan on leaving anything on the table.