Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI flexplate problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TCI flexplate problems

We converted an 02 TransAm to a 4L60e and used a TCI flexplate. We had the standard problems with the bolt holes being too large, but we got around that. Now we are destroying starter motors. The starter drive gear is apparently sticking/binding on the flexplate and it is eating itself up. After about 10 minutes of engine run time we heard a loud squeal. After inspection we found that the starter was trashed. We knew that the starter was questionable before the swap so we replaced it with a brand new starter and tried agan. Same problem, we damaged the drive gear bushing. I removed the coil pack connectors and cranked over the engine and there is no indication of sticking/hanging up. I then added some spacers to the starter and we have the same problem. I happen to have an LQ4 on a stand so I took some measurements and all I can find is that there is a larger gap between the flexplate ring gear and the edge of the starter housing, where it sits next to the ring gear, on the stock setup, by about .040". Is this an issue? Am I missing something else? My guess is that when the engine starts, it keeps the drive gear locked in to the ring gear. Next step is to put the car up on a lift and observe (very carefully) what is going on between the starter and the flexplate. I know TCI offers spacers to adjust the starter/flexplate relationship, but they didnt give us any dimensions to work with. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe all the powdercoating on the teeth is causing it to bind and hold the bedix ? I know mine had some thick powdercoating , but I didn't have any problems . Good luck
Old 07-31-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Powdercoating may have been an issue at first, but it is mostly worn off the teeth on the ring gear by now. Powdercoating on the TCI flexplate sure comes up a lot as causing problems. Discussed this with several folks and the popular consensus is that the flexplate needs to be shimmed, shims go between the flexplate and crankshaft. Would have been very helpful if TCI provided a set of instructions with the flexplate. Also a bit surprised that they didnt mention this to us, we spoke with them twice. This flexplate is specific to LS1 type engines, wonder why it would require special shimming. Since I cant find any dimensions /specifications, it looks like it would be a trial and error process to get the correct shims installed and each time would require removing the tranny or running the engine with the tranny out and that has it own set of problems/concerns. Plan for now is to go with a stock GM flexplate and get the car back on the road.