Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Urgent help with compounding/wet sanding

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Urgent help with compounding/wet sanding

Guys I screwed up my front bumper on my old car. Ive wetsanded numerous times, and used rubbing compound and never had this happen. I wetsanded it with 2000 grit, and then used 3M Rubbing compound, followed with 3m Swirl remover. Usually this works fine for me, not today. The bumper is hazy as **** now, cant get it looking even remotely clear. The bumper was repainted a year ago from a shop in town, and they did a shitty as job (Tomball Collision, I would avoid like the plague). Is it possible they didnt use clear or something? Any advicee is appreciated, I was planning on selling the car tomorrow....Not looking to good now. The original issue was bad swirls, and ive fixed almost all of them except this one panel it just didnt work.TIA,
John
Old 07-30-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Post up some pics and let us see what's going on.

-Mike
Old 07-30-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

its hideous. I thing the thing either wasnt clear coated or had a half assed spray.

I was originally planning on having it painted again but thought I could get away polishing it. I mean the panel just above I used exact same procedure and it looks flawless. I like all the orange peel too lol
Old 07-30-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

What tools do you have to work with? Besides the 2000 grit sandpaper and rubbing compund.

-Mike
Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 hands...Lots of grit sand paper, an orbital buffer (not a good PC that ive been meaning to get). I think its to screwed to bring back, unless anyone ahs any ideas, looks like its gonna be a repaint
Old 07-30-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don`t know that a PC can get that out. That looks like a job only a rotary buffer can tackle.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I actually have a rotary too. But I think if anything whatever I do is just going to make it worse. I mean if its not through the clear, it was caused by hand pressure, so shouldnt hand pressure be able to remove it?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:37 PM
CKZ
TECH Apprentice

Looks like you ran through the clear...Was color coming off on the sandpaper?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

It`s kinda hard to tell, but it doesn`t look to me from that pic that it has been sanded through the clear. Just because you sanded by hand, which you should have anyway, doesn`t mean you can hand buff it out. That will most definately have to be machined buffed. Are you using any kind of sanding block? It doesn`t look like it from the sanding strokes. It looks like your using just sandpaper and only applying pressure with the tips of your fingers. I`m not trying to be condisending to you, but I think you are at a point that you need a professional to fix it.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I agree. I planned on have a pro fix. I actually have gone back over areas etc. I started ut uniform, then I tried different remedies in different areas, figuring I might as well experiment now....
Old 07-30-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CKZ
Looks like you ran through the clear...Was color coming off on the sandpaper?
Actually, It wasnt now that you mention it... I definitly think it had to do with the shop I had paint it though, I mean go figure the only area I have probs is the area that was repainted.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you dont have a rotary buffer, i would go to autozone and buy some 3m scratch remover,little gray bottle (its by the sandpaper)..use that by hand in a circular motion with a applicator pad..should do ok..if you dont have a high speed or porter cable that would be my first suggestion..work a small area for a long time and see what happens
Old 07-30-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went at it again. Looks better. Anyone know a professional detailer in NW Houston?

Landon: Thanks for reply. Is that the smae as 3m Rubbing Compound, I have some of that, its in a little grey bottle.