Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

help! leather conditioner something not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help! leather conditioner something not working

I have been using Mequiars wipes every 2 weeks and the seats seem to be wrinkling cracking more so I decided maybe I just needed to use the conditioner in the bottle. When I used a small spot on the seat the towel turned brown. My seats are dark grey and are not dirty. I got scared so I stopped. I went over it with the wipes and then decided to use a damp cloth to see if the spot was dirty. When I wiped it the towel tuned grey so I immediately stopped. I thought you could use water and immediately wipe dry. Now my seat on that spot looks dull against the rest of the seat. When I put some more of the wipe stuff on there the color comes back for a minute and then when you wipe it with a towel it goes back to dull. I don't know if you are suppose to wipe the seats after the Mequiars wipes or not. Can you use that stuff too much and is there anyone that has run into the conditioner turning the towel brown after rubbing the seats? How often do you all condition the seats? Help!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Yes, I know what you are experiencing. My Camaro SS driver's seat does the same. I use Zaino leather cleaner & conditioner only 2 times a week. The leather seats in Camaro's are cheap compaired to my 2 Trans Am Firehawk seats. I have had the driver's seat leather replaced 3 times. GM paid for those & now the leather needs to be replaced again. I drive my Camaro SS the most, so sweat, sun, rubbing etc... wears the leather out. Passanger & rear seats never been replaced still looks new, yet hardly anyone sits in the passanger seat & never anyone in the rear seat. The Firehawk's seats still look new never been replaced.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you think the meguiars should be brown when you use it on the seat? I think the seats need to be conditioned without the cleaner but the brown confuses me. Alot of people use the meguiars and the Zaino. I thought someone out there might tell me about their experiences? Thanks.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Launching!

My guess is if brown is coming off then it is probably dirtier than you think. Try a magic eraser on there and see if you get anything up.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The conditioner is not suppose to have any cleaners in it. After last night one spot where I used the product looks spotty. I want to use some conditioner because I think the wipes have cleaners in them so I want to just make the seats look moist. I don't know what to do. The seats looked pretty good 6 weeks ago. I never heard of conditioners doing this before. I was trying to save myself from spending money to replace panels of the seat by making it look decent and conditioned.