Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car starts intermittently... Whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car starts intermittently... Whats wrong?

My friend bought a 1998 Z28 today with 46000 miles on it. It has been sitting for 2 years, being started every now and then. When we picked the car up it started fine for the first few times on the way back, then one time we tried to start it and it cranked forever and wouldnt start. we rolled it back like 1 foot and it started right up. The next time we went to start it it started up fine, but then when we went to start again after stopping, it wouldnt start again. We rolled it around and it still wouldnt start. We left it to go to the gas station and get some gas, and then it started up when we got back to it. I had also checked for spark by holding the #2 plug wire about a half inch from the coil to see if it arc'd while turning the engine over, which it didnt...

So when we got it back, we parked it and then 5 minutes later went to start it and it wouldnt start again, just cranked. We took the air intake off and sprayed some carb cleaner in the throttle body and it started and then turned off, then started right back up. We drove it around and turned it off again to see if it would start, but it wouldnt. We tried the carb cleaner again and it would want to start but wouldnt. We then went to push it into a spot til another day, and right before we went to push it I reached in to see if it would start, and it started right up, so we parked it and turned it off til we can fix it, and it wouldnt start back up when we left it.

Sorry for being so long, but we just got the car today and it just sucks we cant drive it.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

man I had the same problem about 6 months after I bought my car.It drove me ****** nuts.It was an intermiten start problen(did not happen all the time),but when it did Iwhent through the same ****!!!I had my car towwed to the dealership many times would leave it for a few days ,but would work fine the whole time it was there,so it would show nothing on the diagnostic tests.I did some research and though it was my v.a.t.s,so did my dealership.(vats is vehicle anti theft) so we had to replace the keys,lockcylinders($500).Well two days later the same **** happend again.So I just dealt with it then one day at a diff.dealer ship Iwas getting my oil changed and when Icame to get my car it happened it would not start so they were able to diagnose the problem.It was a $15 ignition relay,but I still had to pay for the install diagnostic test ( in all was $85).I never had the prob. again and that was 3 years ago.So if it runs fine everytime you take it to dealership and it runs fine and you want to start replacing parts star there.The ignition relay is only $15(part only)Man Ive replaced my starter,then lock cylinder/keys(v.a.t.s.)I was gonna replace my fuel pump,then I thought it could not be cuz I could always hear it come on when I would turn the key part way before ignition.Sorry for the long storry I hope this helps you out and hopefully money and alot of headaches.
john
Old 08-05-2006, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

ill try that tomorrow thx a lot
Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

ignition relay solved the problem, switched with starter relay all better thx a ton john
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you for posting both your issues and subsequent answers. I just bought a 2000 Z28 with 16,000 miles on it, and like your friends, it had been stored and driven around the block for the last 4 years and 7 months. Two weeks after getting the car home, I was having start up issues (You can imagine how upset I was, especially considering that I had just purchased the vehicle). Sure enough though, I found this thread and swapped out the fan relay for the ignitions and all was right in the world.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post. You both saved me a lot of money and time.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badpanda
Hey guys, just wanted to thank you for posting both your issues and subsequent answers. I just bought a 2000 Z28 with 16,000 miles on it, and like your friends, it had been stored and driven around the block for the last 4 years and 7 months. Two weeks after getting the car home, I was having start up issues (You can imagine how upset I was, especially considering that I had just purchased the vehicle). Sure enough though, I found this thread and swapped out the fan relay for the ignitions and all was right in the world.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post. You both saved me a lot of money and time.
glad this thread helped you out
Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Man, I just posted a question for this same problem. I am glad you guys found the problem because I was thinking something in the fuel system. Hopefully that is the only problem I have.