Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Convert '77 T/A to "convertible"

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert '77 T/A to "convertible"

This is my 1st post, & I apologize for not reading everything in this forum yet, but I just discovered it.

I've got a '77 T/A, 400ci, T350, P/S, P/B, AM radio, rallye wheels, silver with firethorn red interior, hardtop (no T-roof). Wife has never liked the car (no accounting for taste, eh?) but I like it as is. She seems to think that if I get it converted to convertible or even just roadster without top at all (summer fair weather driving only) that she'd like it more. I'd prefer to just fix it up & keep as is.

My understanding is that to convert it to topless I'd have to link front & rear subframes together & beef up. I'd have to beef up windshield pillars & the whole project would be mucho work.

Anyone done these sort of conversions?

Regards
Gary K
Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

Please don't do that. That would be a crime cutting up a nice '77. ~Joshua.

Only cut up Mustangs....
Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd gen chassis are about as stiff as a dishrag in warm soapy water. Don't do it. It has been done by aftermarket guys in the past and it looked like crap with the top up. It won't be cheap either. You might want to keep your eyes open they do pop up on ebay every once in a while. It's probably the cheaper route anyways. Good luck
Old 08-07-2006, 05:32 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251315
Old 08-08-2006, 06:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
2nd gen chassis are about as stiff as a dishrag in warm soapy water. Don't do it. It has been done by aftermarket guys in the past and it looked like crap with the top up. It won't be cheap either. You might want to keep your eyes open they do pop up on ebay every once in a while. It's probably the cheaper route anyways. Good luck
Agreed. A firm called NCE used to do them, but not sure of a contact or if they still exist.
Top up = ugly!
Lotta work involved....

Derek
Old 08-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There has been some done before by aftermarket companies as mentioned above, and, just as mentioned above, I too agree that the results are, well, ugly. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but before you do this grab some pics online or photoshop it if you have to. Show the wife the "after" pics and if she's still interested, maybe look into buying one that has already been done instead of ruining your car. It may be cheaper in the end. After all, the demand for them isn't high (if it was there'd be many more of these converted cars around)
Old 08-12-2006, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

If I am right, there was a Stephen King movie made where they had a blue 77 or 78 that morphed into other cars. It was a convertible and it looked pretty nice top down. Have you considered putting ttops in it from a wrecked car or a set from ebay?? Since she isnt into hard tops, think about this option. There is a place in Vegas that will do all the work and make it look pro for $400. Other than that, consider selling it to a collector or enthusiast and maybe pick up a 95 conv. they arent too expensive and maybe she will be happy.