Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

MMMMore Car Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMMMore Car Problems...

Well I was on my way to work yesterday morning when all of a sudden I heard a small ticking coming from the front of my car. It bothered the heck out of me the whole 1 mile I had left to get to work. So on the way home about 1 mile away from home, I give it some gas out of a greenlight and I hear a huge *POP**BANG**SLAP**BAM*. My car immediately sounds like my car had blown up so I pull over to see what had happened. Turns out I had shot my #5 sparkplug right out. I had it towed to the nearest shop and it had actually stripped the threads out completely!!! They are quoting me 8-9 hundred to fix it and I'm totally screwed. I had planned on selling my car because I have my first child on the way in 1 month and was going to get a el cheapo reliable car while I saved up for a C5. Worst of all is that I purchased this car about 16 months ago and bought it at 21% interest. I know I know...but I have super bad credit from mistakes I made as a younger buck. So I have made almost 5k in payments in the last 16 months and only 1,900 has gone to the principal balance. So now I owe $7,300 on the car and it's sitting in the shop w/ almost 1k in damage to it...................ugh!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

might be easiest to just replace the heads than trying to fix the head.....don't know....sucks that that happened to you just as you're trying to sell it too.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a good time to learn how to replace a cylinder head on a LT1. Figure 150.00 for a set of used heads in decent shape and maybe 60.00 in gaskets depending how cheaply you want to go with it. It's really not as hard as it sounds.

Mike
Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Do the work yourself...
Old 08-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Launching!

The 21% interest is really crazy, but worse than that is that you paid nearly $10,000 before interest for a LT1 Mullet.

Seriously though....Cheap fix since you're in a jam=Ask someone on here nicely if they'll help you helicoil some threads in that head. They do it all the time on lightnings that have simliar problems. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah yeah yeah...I knew I'd get some comments from the peanut gallery about what I paid for the car haha. Of course when I look back on it I think to myself "am I retarded?!?". It was definitely an impulse buy and I was just happy someone could finance me. As far as fixing it goes...I'd love to do it myself but I work a ton of hours these days saving for all the things my little guy will need when he is born. I'm currently working 60-65 hours a day and working 7 days a week so I'd have no time to do it myself.

Quick Reply: MMMMore Car Problems...