Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1999 Head/Cam T/A vs 1996 GS-T

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1999 Head/Cam T/A vs 1996 GS-T

Well me and my buddy have a race setup... just for dinner but just asking your opinions and I'll have a video to follow! But he wants to go from a 45 roll against me to I guess whoever shows victorious But my mods are the in the sig but I won't be using nitrous against him. His mods from my it is a 1996 Eclipse GS-T (FWD) eclipse with forged rods and stock pistons. Stock ported heads with a small Forced Performance Cam. He has all the major bolt ons 3" downpipe, 3" Exhaust, 2g ported manifold, 660cc injectors, hks ssqv bov, 3" intercooler piping with a BIG Slowboy Racing FMIC, his turbo setup is a t3/t4 garret turbo with a .63 a/r from what I know. He is going to be running on pump gas and he said 20 psi. So no race gas for now. The car is completely unted and running just an AFC which has not been really messed with and the car is running rich. Myself I have a talon with some minor mods but my trans am would pull the crap out of it from a roll and just feels all the way around strong but if you all know from an n/a car to a turbo car the pull just feels different. How will I fair with him from a highway pull from 45 up? I figured I'll pull him a few cars instantly because he will spin or have turbo lag then just probably stay about speed locked? My 1/8th was best of 7.9 @ 91.8 w/1.83 60ft so I have a good running highway/good mph car.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well at 45 with that turbo he wont have boost lag and most likely not spin but you should still walk away from him. since he claims no tune with all of those mods I cant see him winning even with a tune for that matter. there maybe about a 300LB weight difference not sure but with your rwhp you should win . Does he always run 20psi on pump gas with no tune and those mods??. I think it will be a good race tho close but you should get him. I say race , be safe , and have fun though because you never know.

Last edited by 95FbFormula; 08-07-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
Well at 45 with that turbo he wont have boost lag and most likely not spin but you should still walk away from him. since he claims no tune with all of those mods I cant see him winning even with a tune for that matter. there maybe about a 300LB weight difference not sure but with your rwhp you should win . Does he always run 20psi on pump gas with no tune and those mods??. I think it will be a good race tho close but you should get him.
Well the guy has crappy tires on it and it actually does shred the tires a little at 45 to about 60-70 or so from what I have seen but it doesn't look like it makes a big difference. He actually has a Wideband on the car but has made really no attempt at tuning it himself, he is just scared he will blow it up because he just got the car finally on the road after about 10 months of downtime but yah he started at 15 psi and he said it ran fine then cranked it up to 20 for daily and has never had it at the track. I know he raced my buddy in a near stock 98 GS-T with basic bolt ons ie. 3" downpipe, 3" catback, bov intercooler piping and pulled the crap out of him from a roll and he usually runs 9.2-9.3s @ 76 or so and I pull semi's on him from a roll. But he said the guy with the 96 pulled him pretty hard but spun a little.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its hard to say But basic stock GS-ts arent **** really not to dis them but they just arent putting down the power and not high enough PSI i think stock they run 15.5 sumthin like that maybe high 14 only about 10-13 i think stock. and the T3/T4 makes a nice difference. I still say you should win just hook it nice and its over. Rwd vs fwd low end torque vs high rpm torque. just hook up and it should be over I hate racing with bad tires.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
Its hard to say But basic stock GS-ts arent **** really not to dis them but they just arent putting down the power and not high enough PSI i think stock they run 15.5 sumthin like that maybe high 14 only about 10-13 i think stock. and the T3/T4 makes a nice difference. I still say you should win just hook it nice and its over. Rwd vs fwd low end torque vs high rpm torque. just hook up and it should be over I hate racing with bad tires.
That is very true but the things liven up ALOT with like under 500 in mods, MBC, downpipe, intercooler piping and they drop like 1.0 in their times. My car doesn't spin from a roll on Nitto's so I'm not worried about spinning from a 45 roll just hope he does