Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

A little fun on I-75 in FLA

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little fun on I-75 in FLA

I thought I would share a run I had with a couple of cars while on vacation down in Florida last month. I had just made the turn south from I-10 onto I-75 and I knew the pace would pick up a bit since it seems traffic flies thru there. Sure enough, about 20 miles later an '05 or newer Mustang GT with Mississipi plates comes flying by. Looked like a guy and a girl, so I start tailing, not to race but to make some time.

Now, I-75 is three lanes all the way down to the turnpike but the traffic can really suck at times so I really wasn't paying attention when a '98 or newer T/A Ram Air with Georgia plates gets right behind like he wants to tail. So off we go, the three of us all going around 95mph. We are still in heavy traffic so we hit some speeds then slow back down to 80 or so.

At this point I am saying, wow, nice to see all the American iron when I notice a flash in my rear view mirror. Its a Viper, YES, with the hood scoop and Indiana plates. He is a couple of cars behind the T/A and is pretty much forced to stay there with the traffic. At one point he gets over a lane and moves up and I can see that he's got the top off and cruising with another dude. Now we got a convoy.

Finally we break out of traffic and I immediately BOV it a couple times then back off a bit, hoping someone will take the bait. The mustang and T/A were both right there but didn't respond. Next the viper broke out of traffic and came close to me so I hit it hoping he would follow. He didn't so I just hit it again and took it up to 110 out of frustration. Well, as soon as I let off and get back to around 90 I glance in the mirror and, yup, here comes the viper just hauling ***. I am in 5th at this point so I slam it back into 4th and play catch-up. I catch up just as we hit traffic but we were doing about 140 at the time and I remember my front end sinking what seemed like 4 inches after I got behind the viper.

Now, driving at those speeds make me nervous but this guy was crazy. First, he has the top off. Next we clear the traffic and we both hit it from about 90 and he gets me by about 1.5 cars up to at least 160. At this point I remember glancing down at the speedo, which is the Canadian 300mph and I am past halfway, holy **** I am flying. And traffic comes up fast. So while I am starting to brake I see this guy whip it from the fast lane all the way over to the slow lane, 2 lanes over, while doing at least 120. A great driver, or crazy, you make the call.

I was impressed with his ride and caught up with him to give him a thumbs up. And then I remember setting the cruise and riding the rest of the way in the slow lane, my hands shaking for about 5min afterwards. The mustang and T/A came by about 10 min later, still tailing each other. If I could just have all 4 in my garage...
Old 08-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It didn't post my sig??
'99 C5 Z51
TTi Stage I 6.5psi
440rwhp 500rwtq