Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What flex plate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What flex plate?

I purchased a new '04 Corvette Engine, and a 4L60e transmission. The Corvette flex plate, of course, does not work with teh transmission.

The place I purchased it told me a Camaro '97-02 flex plate should work, but it does not fit the bolt pattern on the torque converter.

So I called them and they told me the transmission was speficially an '05 Chevy Truck transmission. The descriptoin is 4L60E 5CHD. It has 6 bolts around the tail housing, and it has all the bolt holes a round the bell houseing. (I understand that some of them do not).

When I look on the Internet about trucks for 2005, I see them wiht 6.0 engines. Mine, of course is a 5.7.

I called the local auto parts store and they don't even list a flex plate for a 2005. "It's too new" they tell me.

Any thoughts on what flex plate I need? From there, maybe I can locate one.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought all the newer ls-based flexplates were the same...maybe not...i have an aftermarket flexplate with 6 holes and it only bolts to the converter one way using three of the holes, but you probably already tried turning it to get it to line up...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Spy

Yes. Thanks for the offer of advice though.

The flex plate for the Camaro that I had purchased had several different holes. I could get two of the three to line up at most.

The guy at the powertrain shop where I purchased it and the engine thought it should work too.

There apparently are at least 3 different flex plates. I think I can probably get one that will work from S&P. But, they charge over $150 for them. The one I got that didn't work was $32, so that leaves me thinking I shouldn't need to spend $150+.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what the problem is. You purchased a Corvette setup, which is similar to an LT1 setup ... the transmission part. The Corvettes can use converters for an LT1 F-body. In order to get up an drunning, you need to get a Corvette specific converter, not an LS1 F-body model. If you want tot use an F-body LS1 converter, you will need to purchase a 1998-2002 F-body flexplate (there are other applications as well, but they are too many to list here). You will still have a problem with the input shaft, as it will be too short. Best bet would be to purchase a Converter for the Corvette.

Torque Converter pattern:
Corvette = 10.75" bolt circle
Camaro/Firebird = 11.05" bolt circle
Old 08-19-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm just a little confused. Isn't the Corvette LS1 engine the same as Camaro LS1 (not speaking of the flex plate, or transmission)? And, I'm not trying to hook the transmission to the Corvette flex plate, I know I can't.

But, the transmission is for a truck, not an F-Body(showing my ignorance here...I presume F-Body is Trans-AM/Camaro), or Corvette. So, in the end the diagnosis may be the same, I need a converter. But I'm not thinking a Corvette Converter is what I need. Corvette transmissions are connected through, I don't know what it's called, a transverse shaft or something?

Quick Reply: What flex plate?