Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Oil on my flywheel bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil on my flywheel bolts

I replaced my clutch today and found oil had seeped into the threads of the flywheel bolts. They were still nice and tight but my gut tells me this isn't good.
I didn't see any trails coming from the valvecovers or anything so I'm pretty sure it's seeping out of the seal around the... (dont know the name) the rotating part the flywheel bolts to.

I'm seeing this as being a problem eventually since the oil leak will eventually reach my clutch if it becomes too much to evaporate.

There wasn't oil running everywhere but the FW bolts were quite oily.

Is this common or should I start pricing out a shortblock? or is it an easy fix?
TIA
it's a 98 with 86k miles
Old 08-19-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No big deal. Either the oil plug in the back of the crank is leaking, or you have a leaky rear main seal. If it were the main seal you'd probably see some kind of trail or drip, but it's hard to say with out seeing it. In any event, both are more of an inconvenience than a major problem to fix. I haven't personally done either so maybe someone else can give you some pointers.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet thanks. It def didn't come from the main seal since there is def no trail leading from it. I'm so glad this is not a big deal. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Oil on my flywheel bolts